Cage cleaning before/after revolution treatment

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passionfruit

Hi everyone! I just came back from the vet today (Dr. Munn) for some fur loss that I've noticed on two of my ratties, and he suggested to use revolution on them to treat for parasites. So I got the revolution sitting in the freezer, now I just have a couple of questions, and I tried looking around a bit but I can't seem to find the exact answer I was looking for.. so I thought I'd try asking it :)

Now I know there are a lot of info out there on revolution and cage cleaning, and I know I should do as thorough of a clean as possible.. But I was just wondering, exactly how "thorough" would be enough? I don't particularly want to take apart my CN as it took so long (and so much effort) to put it together. So if I use bleach to spray it down completely and let it dry, then spray it down a couple of times with water, would that be enough so I don't have to take it apart? If course, I'm also looking to maximize the life of my CN so by spray, I mean with a spray bottle and not soaking it in water.

Also, in regards to the fleece bedding, do I have to re-wash all the fleece I've got? or should I just wash the ones they've dirtied since my last laundry cycle? Also, if I have to wash all my fleece again, does that mean I should wash all of my clothes/fabric-y stuff (because they might jump off from their cage into the laundry basket right next to the cage)? - to specify, I'm wondering if I should wash my clothes because they would jump back into the cage and infest the cage again. I figure they're probably species specific so I'm not worried about me.

Lastly, do I have to clean the cage down (crazy clean) after each revolution treatment? or just the first one?

passionfruit said:
Hi everyone! I just came back from the vet today (Dr. Munn) for some fur loss that I've noticed on two of my ratties, and he suggested to use revolution on them to treat for parasites. So I got the revolution sitting in the freezer, now I just have a couple of questions, and I tried looking around a bit but I can't seem to find the exact answer I was looking for.. so I thought I'd try asking it :)

Now I know there are a lot of info out there on revolution and cage cleaning, and I know I should do as thorough of a clean as possible.. But I was just wondering, exactly how "thorough" would be enough? I don't particularly want to take apart my CN as it took so long (and so much effort) to put it together. So if I use bleach to spray it down completely and let it dry, then spray it down a couple of times with water, would that be enough so I don't have to take it apart? If course, I'm also looking to maximize the life of my CN so by spray, I mean with a spray bottle and not soaking it in water.

Also, in regards to the fleece bedding, do I have to re-wash all the fleece I've got? or should I just wash the ones they've dirtied since my last laundry cycle? Also, if I have to wash all my fleece again, does that mean I should wash all of my clothes/fabric-y stuff (because they might jump off from their cage into the laundry basket right next to the cage)? - to specify, I'm wondering if I should wash my clothes because they would jump back into the cage and infest the cage again. I figure they're probably species specific so I'm not worried about me.

Lastly, do I have to clean the cage down (crazy clean) after each revolution treatment? or just the first one?

I asked all those same questions to Dr. Munn when Mishka had stress induced lice. You can put any items that aren't washable from the cage into the freezer (eg wooden toys) and wash the cage well. I didn't use bleach as I worried about the safety for the rats. I would worry about removing all the bleach residue from the cage. I just used hot water and soap. Wash your used fleece in hot water. Lice are species specific and Dr Munn also told me that they often stay on their original host. Lice can come from bedding products you buy at the pet store and many people freeze that as well. Rats always have lice on their bodies, but keep the population under control. Stress or illness often causes the problem as was the case for Mishka. She first had lice after her cage ate died and later when she was old and sick. Again, info from Dr. Maze.

I know with lice you need more than one treatment to kill the lice and the eggs, so I would continue to clean well over the course of the first two treatments. I didn't worry too much about clothing.

Not sure how any of this differs for mites.

Thanks! That's really helpful. Yeah, he didn't specify if it's lice or mites, he just said parasites..

Yes, I now remember he did say that sometimes the rats come with the parasites and they keep it under control until something changes. Perhaps this happened when we introduced the new girl..

You found the hot water for the cage was sufficient? I'm tossed up between taking my CN apart, which I don't even know if I can do, and then washing it and leaving it to dry for a good week or so. Or just spraying it with bleach and water, let it dry, then more water, then dry, the maybe more water, to get rid of the bleach.

I usually buy my fleece from fabricland (this fabric store), so I didn't use to think it would carry anything. But now I'm going to start to wash it in a cycle of hot water before I make anything with it.

Also, I made a really big playpen out of cardboard, and had originally thought to leave them there for the afternoon/day while I clean the cage with bleach. But now I'm guessing I should throw this away too? because it's cardboard?

Ugh I hate this so much. I feel so bad for not bringing them to the vet earlier, I had absolutely no idea it was going to be parasites since I tried to keep them so clean. I just thought it was over grooming or something because she was bored :cry:

You can store away the cardboard for 3 months if you like. Cleaning before or after doesn't matter, because the treatment lasts a while anyways.
The fleece, be sure to wash in hot water.
I don't think it's necessary to go overboard with the cleaning.

I washed the fleece in 40 degrees water (some setting on the washing machine, not sure if it's exactly 40 though). Should I be going for 60 or 90? I was concerned the heat will shrink the fleece too much

I ended up pulling the cage outside and spraying it down. Now I realize how difficult it is to get all the water out of the crevices of the CN. Looks like I'm going to be getting some rust here and there no matter what..

passionfruit said:
I washed the fleece in 40 degrees water (some setting on the washing machine, not sure if it's exactly 40 though). Should I be going for 60 or 90? I was concerned the heat will shrink the fleece too much

I ended up pulling the cage outside and spraying it down. Now I realize how difficult it is to get all the water out of the crevices of the CN. Looks like I'm going to be getting some rust here and there no matter what..

I don't think fleece shrinks. I always wash the fleece hammocks and bedding in hot water after a cage cleaning.

Like jorats said, don't worry about going overboard with the cleaning.

I missed the early signs of lice on Mishka too...don't worry about it. Revo will take care of it and your ratites will still love you : )

Thanks guys. I just washed all of their fleece stuff and all of my laundry. Now I know to be careful to separate my clothes into "touched rats" and "didn't touch rats", so I know which one to wash really carefully next time.

I'll use hotter water to wash it from now on. Maybe it's the dryer heat that shrinks it?

Also, I used the revolution on Saturday. Today they're still scratching... It breaks my heart to watch them play and have to stop to scratch themselves because they're probably so itchy... Will it not work until I've done all three doses?

If I remember what Dr. Munn said, I think the two doses are needed to get the full life cycle of the eggs and lice. I noticed a significant decrease in itching before the second dose.

Thanks guys! I noticed the scabs on Bea healed so I'm guessing it must be working!

I think I'm going to dry it for less time and perhaps wash it in warmer water. Or I'll just buy bigger sheets of fleece in the future :D

Back