Cage Chewing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RattusRattus

So, my girl is in her new DCN. It's set up with things to play with, climb on, and chew (although I will be going to the shop soon for more bits), and for the first few days things were going great. She really seems to love it. But she's started to chew on the vertical panels of the top unit doors. It's chipping pieces of paint, and not only is this damaging an expensive cage, I'm concerned she may ingest some of it (which obviously takes precedence).

How do I get her to stop?

Update: I supplied the little chewer with some cardboard, and the cage is no longer of any interest to her. It seems she just wanted something to nibble on :p

Hi there, I'm actually having the same issue, and she even chewed one of the bars on the door so that the end of it is no longer attached and she can get out. I bought this (very expensive) cage because it was built specifically for rats and said it was chew proof (because she's gotten out of EVERYTHING else I've put her in). She won't use her saucer wheel for running, and she loves to move and explore, which makes for a very anxious mom. She has plenty of cardboard, things to hang in, food, water, and even a snack hut that she can hide in and munch on. If anyone has an answer or some ideas for me that would be AMAZING!!!

Most rats do not seem to like using saucer wheels .... you might try a 12 inch diameter silent spinner

put a box in her cage with a couple of holes in the sides and a hole in the top for doors and put crumpled up paper in it .... for a house and chew toy

she might also like a roll of toilet paper hung on the side of the cage that she can unroll and use to build nests - it will need to be cleaned up daily but will provide her with a creative activity

hammocks, tubes hung on the side of the cage (both plastic and chewable tubes) .....

does your girl live with friends and do they get at least 2 hours/day to play with you, run around and explore in an enriched, safe play area?

It's just her and me, no cage mates. I just got her and she's my first rat. I'm doing a lot of research, but the woman at the store said that I don't need to get another rat as long as I take her out daily. When I take her out, what is a "safe" play area? I usually just let her run around in my hoody.

I would strongly urge both of you to get friends for your lone rats, asap
rats are social and need to live with other rats ...... in the wild they live in huge family groups
This may help

Your rats are very lonely and need one or two other rats to snuggle with, to groom, to be groomed by, to play with etc Living with other rats make rats happier, less lonely, less frightened, more outgoing, more friendly, less bored, etc

RattusRattus, it is actually recommended that wild baby rats be given baby pet rats as friends when they are young so that they are more content and happier living in captivity .... I hope that you get her a friend or 2 or 3 asap

Here is some info on doing intros https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/ plus see joinrats.com

It's just her and me, no cage mates. I just got her and she's my first rat. I'm doing a lot of research, but the woman at the store said that I don't need to get another rat as long as I take her out daily. When I take her out, what is a "safe" play area? I usually just let her run around in my hoody.

A safe play area is a place where she can safely (supervised by you) run around and play, climb, explore and interact with you safely. Some people use a bath room that does not contain cleaners etc as they could harm rats, others use a couch, a playpen, and enclosed area, or a room. Some people make sure their rats have access to their cage when out playing for example: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/playpen-suggestions.21590/#post-326501

Back