Cage bars too wide?

Help Support Rat Shack Forum:

KieraJax

Hey, guys! I'm new here and I recently upgraded my rats cage, but I'm a little worried the bar spacing is wide enough for my littlest one to get through. They're about 6 months old. They can fit their nose through, almost to their eyes, but they don't seem to be able to get their heads through. The bar spacing is 0.9". They seem to be fine, and they're not really trying to get out, but it still worries me a bit. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

KieraJax

Hey, guys! I'm new here and I recently upgraded my rats cage, but I'm a little worried the bar spacing is wide enough for my littlest one to get through. They're about 5-6 months old. They can fit their noses through, they don't seem to be able to get their heads through, but it still worries me a bit. Suggestions?

Attachments

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
If you think the bar spacing is too wide, you can cover the outside of the cage with hardware cloth until they grow larger or buy a large cage with smaller bar spacing such as a critter nation

All wire floors need to be covered so that they are solid so you will need to cover the wire with something like a large piece of coroplast cut to fit

Group Builder