Busted blister skin on eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeDee

Found a pet rat a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days later her right eye looked bulgy. Chalked it off to normal bugging from teeth grinding. It kept getting bigger until it finally looked like cyclops. It also developed a cloudy bubble. I finally scrounged up enough money to take her to the vet. Not anticipating taking care of a rat, I wasn’t financially prepared for it but couldn’t not rescue it. Vet said it looked like she had some trauma to the eye, probably while she was out in the wild and gave her antibiotics. She said there was a 50/50 chance of her losing her eye. A couple of days later it started looking much better. It looked like the cloudy bubble had popped and there was skin lose from it. Eye continually looks so much better except for that small piece of skin that won’t turn loose. It’s gotten smaller but still there. I keep thinking it will just fall off. Anybody have a similar experience?

Also, while putting her drops in today, it looked like maybe the other is a little irritated. Maybe it’s just being paranoid. I worry that maybe she’s scratching them when she grooms herself and rubs her face.

usually once there's a tear like this the eye will shrink/shrivel up over time and just become a nub of tissue in the eye socket.
If you suspect she's scratching from pain you can give her Metacam (if you have some) or infant liquid ibuprofen for pain /swelling. Can you get a good pic of both her eyes? I've dealt with so many eye injuries, eye punctures, glaucoma etc I might see something. Its best to use a flash on macro setting if possible, Feed her something soft she has to stay still to lickup and eat to keep her still.

Thanks so much for responding. Happy to say the eye is back to normal. A few days ago when checking her, first thing in the morning, we saw that it was gone. And as of today she looks like she has 2 matching eyes again. LOL

Hmmm...is she a nakie rat? If so it might have been debris on the eye as they have less eye protection than a furred rat and often can have eye issues. Drops can really make a difference

Hmmm...is she a nakie rat? If so it might have been debris on the eye as they have less eye protection than a furred rat and often can have eye issues. Drops can really make a difference
The antibiotics must have done the trick because it’s back to normal. Thanks so much for responding.

Back