Bumps on Ears, Tails, and Noses.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi!
My young male rats (14 weeks) have developed bumps all over their ears, nose and tails. When I took them to the breeder, she gave me a mite medicine to put on the affected, and i have been applying it daily. It seems to be helping with one of my rats, but the bumps are only getting worse on my other.
Does anyone know what the bumps are?
If so, how do I treat them?

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.29.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.29.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 11.29.09 AM.png

That to me looks more like mange mites than fungal, the vet would be the best option as you'll most likely need to use a prescription treatment against them to make sure they're gone for good! If you have other animals in the house keep them away for safe measure, don't want those things spreading.(revolution would be the best option as it's safer for rats than ivermectin, you just need to distract them after applying for about 5 minutes to make sure they don't scratch or lick it off themselves or each other)

Thank you!
That to me looks more like mange mites than fungal, the vet would be the best option as you'll most likely need to use a prescription treatment against them to make sure they're gone for good! If you have other animals in the house keep them away for safe measure, don't want those things spreading.(revolution would be the best option as it's safer for rats than ivermectin, you just need to distract them after applying for about 5 minutes to make sure they don't scratch or lick it off themselves or each other)

Back