bump at surgery site

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by kimiko, Jun 12, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Jun 12, 2018 #1

kimiko

kimiko

kimiko

My one rat, Sugar, had surgery on May 2nd. She had 3 tumors removed and was spayed. One of the sites where a tumor was had developed a seroma a few days after surgery, so we had that checked out. We went in on May 15th to have the sutures removed. Doc said everything was looking good. We went in again on May 29th to recheck the seroma, and all was good with that as well. At that time, there was still a small scab where the tumor was, and one where the spay incision was. She's been doing fine, acting normal, eating, drinking, etc... but last night, I noticed a small lump on her belly where they spay incision was. I've attached a pic. Not too sure what it is. I'll be calling my vet, but any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 13, 2018 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Glad that she seems to be feeling ok.
    It could be a number of things such as an abscess or a hernia or a reaction to the sutures or something else. So good that you will have your vet check it out. Many vets do not charge for rechecks after surgery so hopefully your vet doesn't.
    Someone else may have a better idea

Good luck to both of you

3. Jun 13, 2018 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Give it a smell, if it's foul, most likely an abscess. But very common for it to be a reaction to sutures.