Bulging eye, blood inside of eyeball

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fawnesst

Hello, the earliest my vet can squeeze me in is 2 months away, but I am freaking out about what is going on with my girl and am considering euthanasia if it continues to get any worse (mostly if it bursts, I'm not going to make her suffer...) Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be and what I can do to help it? In the meantime I have been giving an amoxicillin solution and children's motrin in hopes it might help, I have been giving it since the eye turned red on 2/21, but today it looks more swollen and now has what looks like blood pooling at the bottom?

These eye issues seem to have come on very suddenly, first it was what looked like a cataract in one eye, then it developed in the other eye, then the first cataract started fading (going dark) and very suddenly one morning her eye was red, I could not see any pooling or even her pupil it was just solid red. Oh and she is 1 year and 4 months old. These are all of the pics I have taken to document everything going on. HELP!!!

2/21 when I noticed it turned red.
2-21-2022.jpg
Today 2/27 6 days of antibiotics and NSAID/children's motrin, continuing to get worse...
2-27-2022.jpg
This is her other eye with what looks like a cataract? But I'm not entirely sure.
cataract.jpg

Last edited:
So, update for those that find this thread and have this problem. My baby had the same issue, but after about a week and a few days and some antibiotics I had on hand just in case, it cleared up on its own :)

So, update for those that find this thread and have this problem. My baby had the same issue, but after about a week and a few days and some antibiotics I had on hand just in case, it cleared up on its own :)
That's great, like back to normal?

Yes! Went from a eye filled with blood to completely back to normal! It was definitely scary but luckily he healed quickly on his own. He looked like this before he healed, very similar to the thread.
Thanks, it looks scary indeed. I hope @Fawnesst saw your post or found a cure.

Back