Buck grease?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytippytoes

I didn't know where to post this as its not really a medical issue?
My ratty boy Tofu is about 14 months . It has been hard to show him humans mean well and I am happy to say all that hard work it showing now. He is in the corner of my desk while I type here now. He is relaxing and waiting for me to keep petting him My problem is after a few months of him not letting me touch hes gotten a load of buck grease on his back. Whats the best way to get rid of it? I've been using baby wipes and a baby comb(very gently)and He is going to get a bath. The best way? I have plain dawn is that good? Any suggestions PLEASE!!

I also just went thru the search and it recommends olive(extra virgin) and flax seed. I have both so I have him a half a teaspoon. Too much or 2 little? Also how often? Thanks so much!!

Giving him a bath should help. I heard that Dawn was good too. I cant help with the oil, I haven't given any to mine but.. I would think once every few days?

My boys smelled horrible when I first brought them home. I gave them a bath once, never had the problem again with the build up on them.

mine had mites too so i think it hurt them to clean themselves on their backs, but after that bath and revo, it was ok. Havent had a problem since.

I thought they said once a week and just a drop or two on some toast when I asked about it but i am not sure.

unscented baby wipes are your best friend! Less stressful than baths and still helpful.

Just a smidge of oil supplement should be fine for a rat's size.

I took Tofu to the Vet today and the very nice Doctor shaved his back for me. Tofu was sooo much more comfy after that. I need to keep up now with the wipes. I now have a nekiee baby LOL

I'll try to get a pic because he really does look funny. The buck grease was so embedded because 1. his age and 2. his tumor so he cant reach back there at all. So to make him comfy they shaved and now I must wipe with baby wipes every night to keep it at bay. Tofu talk non stop while he was there ...it was so cute. Like an old man complaining. :lol: Any way when the Vet started to shave him he shut up! I guess it was itchy and he enjoyed that shave. He is more comfy now i can tell by the way he is relaxing. he was so happy to be home as he was at my job in his carrier all day. Let me get some pics....BRB
Well it seems I can not upload any pics tonight! gRRR :redhot:

Ah, poor cutie, glad he's feeling better! It sounds like some excessive buck grease will be a continual thing for him. Now that you've put a bandaid on the situation, start supplementing him with olive oil (helps with coat health and skin health and so on) and give him mini-baths with unscented baby wipes. Plus the baby wipes usually have aloe and other goodness to soothe itchy skin and whatnot.

So here's my funny looking boy Tofu with his hairless underwear :D Now I know why people like the hairless..his skin is so soft!!

mlittestangels043.jpg

mlittestangels042.jpg

After really looking at the pics I realize his back now looks like a mans dome. :laugh4:

*Splutter*

Tofu, I'm really sorry for laughing at your picture, but Tinytippytoes is right - you do bear resemblance to a balding guy.

*Snicker* Poor dude, at least he must be feeling better now in spite of looking a bit silly.

LOL oh my! that is funny.. but as long as he feels better that is all that matters. LOL For some reason I didnt think it was shaved that large lol

This is such a good idea for those males with severe buck grease. I've had some with so much, there was no cleaning it. Something groomers should get into. lol

After this experience I realize I need to invest in a pair of clippers since I love the man rats. :). It seems to be an easier way to keep some control over that gunk. Tofus skin is so soft I don't think I want the fur to grow back!! He is feeling a bit better.

Back