BROKEN FRONT LEG - Advice and ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON needed ASAP in Southern California.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoldenrat

Hey there! My little rattie Mizu has broken her front leg. Unfortunately, it's located pretty high up and the break doesn't line up. I'm looking for a good orthopedic surgeon that specializes in pocket pets ASAP. I am located in the Beverly Hills area, so anywhere within 60 miles would be ideal! Has anyone had this experience where the break doesn't line up on the front arm? I hear that surgery or amputation will probably be the solution. I worry about amputation when it's the front arm as she needs it to eat with etc.
🙁
Thank you so much! Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 138
  • mizu tilt.jpg
    mizu tilt.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 136
I doubt you will find a vet who can repair a break like that. They don't splint or cast rats either. You could try limiting mobility, with meloxicam for pain/swelling relief. Rats heal much faster than humans.
Or an amputation of the front leg while more difficult for the rat isn't as bad as you think. I had to have Sparrows front left amputated due to a fast growing tumour. She did well and lived til 2.5 years old. She was a bright little girl and adapted really well to her disability. I did scratch and rub her ear on that side just to help her out. She learned to lie down and hold lab blocks down with her one paw and gnaw.

I doubt you will find a vet who can repair a break like that. They don't splint or cast rats either. You could try limiting mobility, with meloxicam for pain/swelling relief. Rats heal much faster than humans.
Or an amputation of the front leg while more difficult for the rat isn't as bad as you think. I had to have Sparrows front left amputated due to a fast growing tumour. She did well and lived til 2.5 years old. She was a bright little girl and adapted really well to her disability. I did scratch and rub her ear on that side just to help her out. She learned to lie down and hold lab blocks down with her one paw and gnaw.
Thank you so so much for the advice and for sharing your story! I know it cannot fuse together on it's own since the break is not in line. I will try to find an exotics surgeon. Thank youououou!

Back