Breathing Problems caused by rat dander?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeljdawyd

I have a friend who has had her female rat for over a year now, but recently she has been having asthma and other respiratory problems. Her doctor is stating the problem is caused from her pet rat. I myself am not buying this since she has had the rat for over a year AND a rabbit for many years prior to the rat and the health issues just started in the past couple months.

She loves her rat and does not want to have to give her up.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge regarding rats causing breathing problems in humans?

I myself cannot care for her rat as I already have a full load with my two females and two dumbo males, but I would like to find a new loving home for her in either London Ontario or Sault Ste. Marie Ontario.

Any information about temporary shelters or organizations in London or the Sault would be greatly appreciated.

Sophie is a petite female, white with a beige hood and her eyes show up red in camera flashes, but they appear dark in real life.

45115_483816175967_505055967_6642996_4054971_n.jpg

I can completely agree that breathing issues can be caused by rats...I myself will get stuffy and breathe heavy if I spent a lot of time with them around my face. When I clean the cages I will sneeze, cough, eyes will get itchy and dry...I am also allergic to dogs, cats, hamsters, horses, etc.

I don't touch my eyes and wash my hands thoroughly. I find that if something else bothers my allergies, then the rats are worse.

My dad is the same. Has to wash up after playing with any rats otherwise he gets hives :(

There are other contributing factors to my friends breathing problem, such as her new bedroom was the previous home owner's catroom and the carpet is probably horrendous with cat dander (she is also allergic to cats, rabbits, etc, though her reactions were minor until recently).

That's why I think it may not be her rat, though poor little sophie is taking all the blame from everyone else.

Ratty Momma said:
You could have rats for years, and then develop allergies to them! Rabbits and Rats are different, you can be allergic to one and not the other. There is a topic here "allergies" that explains meds that can be taken to help!

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13118&hilit=allergies

Thanks for the link, I'll also pass it on to my friend in hopes she finds a solution and can keep her fav pet.

I myself became affected by my rats after several years of having them. But with me, that will not cause me to stop loving them or keeping them. But there are steps to take to help alleviate the symptoms.
That thread is a long read but a good one.

Oyes! You get both allergies and asthma from rats (and cats! Nobody believes me idk why!). She might be able to keep her rat if someone else living with her agrees to clean the cage. Having my face in their cage and poop seems to be my main problem. I wheeze in no time! My boyfriend takes care of cleaning the cage and i take care of the feeding and water and putting hammocks back up. When we had to clean them for lice i had a HORRID asthma attack, left me sore for days. I'm also allergic to them so i always have a bottle of pills for that! It doesn't help me breathing but it helps with the itchyness (places like the inside of your mouth itching is very annoying) and sneezing. If they scratch while climbing all over me i make sure i wash my arms and change my shirt.

As for asthma you can't do much but take inhalers or a big cup of black coffee! Black coffee won't make asthma go away but when you feel it coming (you'll feel hot and short of breath like you just ran a bit) it will just help, i'm not sure why but it does.

Also it would be good to keep the ratty off of the bed and pillows aaaaand if she can afford it a good air purifier.
I got one that cost me 300$ but it works, since then i haven't had daily problems breathing, happens still but only sometimes!
We leave it on 24/7.

This is the one i have, i think it was well worth the money.
I like to think it might also help Crank with his respiratory problems! :nod:

Honeywell HEPA Tower Air Purifier with UV Germ Reduction
oneywell's HHT-145 HEPAClean whisper-quiet air purifier features an advanced air-cleaning system that combines three powerful air cleaning technologies into one compact air purifier to deliver cleaner, fresher air to your home. Germ-fighting ultraviolet technology helps reduce viruses, bacteria, fungi, and mold spores while the HEPA filters remove up to 99 percent of airborne particles such as dust, pet dander, smoke, and pollen (from the air that passes through the filter). In addition, the enhanced odor-control carbon zeolite pre-filter helps reduce common household odors. This item is priced by the Single Unit. If you want a full case, carton or box, please contact us so we can direct you toward the proper sku for purchasing.

My friend changed rat litter products and her breathing problems have stopped, so thankfully she is keeping her rat and little Sophie isn't the problem. Thanks to this site we have both learned the problems caused by woodchips.

It boggles the mind how harmful products are sold by "animal lovers" to new pet owners.

Michaeljdawyd said:
My friend changed rat litter products and her breathing problems have stopped, so thankfully she is keeping her rat and little Sophie isn't the problem. Thanks to this site we have both learned the problems caused by woodchips.

It boggles the mind how harmful products are sold by "animal lovers" to new pet owners.
Glad she figured it out. All wood chips are not harmful though, only softwoods like pine and cedar. Hardwoods like Aspen are perfectly safe. If your friend was using Aspen and reacting, it was an allergy to the wood (not uncommon) and not that the wood it's self is harmful.

i totally kept her. switched athsma meds, moved her further from where i sleep and started using the cardboard bedding. i havn't had problems since and couldn't imagine giving her up! i love her too much.

i still get crazy hives from her, but that's tollerable.

thanks guys! :)

Years ago I was never allergic to animals, after my son was born I developed allergies to everything. My cat, dog and rats send me into fits, and I dont mind :)

Yay! Glad to hear you're keeping them! :D
I don't think i thought of mentionning the bedding for asthma... oops! If i don't let my rat get in my face the fumes from poop and water to me is the worse thing!! I get mild asthma attack from cleaning with the steam mop because it mixes with dried up pee and i breathe it in. My botfriend said he would also take it of that from now on! :D Hopefully when i get the liners i'll be able to help him with the cleaning...

BTW ur ratties are adorable! <3
I love red eyes on a rat... i don't know why! To me the "normal" black eyes look odd.

haha, sophie's eyes only go crazy red in pictures with flash. she looks semi normal in my avatar. i stayed separated from her for a couple of days while waiting for athsma meds to be refilled. SO happy to have her back in my room being all noisey. <3

Back