Both rats died overnight

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medicinema8

Hello everyone! I'm a longtime rat lover and enjoy keeping them as pets. My latest two were a 2-year old with a tumor but was eating and drinking just fine, and a 6-month old full of energy, constantly bouncing around.

This morning, they were both dead. They seemed fine last night. I'm sad and baffled. So I cleaned out the tank with lysol wipes and Im bummed.

I can't think of anything that could have caused it so suddenly. Does anyone have any feedback? Much appreciated in advance.

I'm also quite stumped because if it was an illness you wouldn't think they'd die at the same time... You mentioned a tank? They're strongly advised against because of the lack of ventilation, could they have suffocated on accident? I'm assuming no wounds so they didn't fight each other to the death. If you plan to put new rats in the tank regardless please wipe out the lysol with a damp cloth, it's only really recommended that you use warm/hot water and dish soap or water and vinegar(some people don't like the dish soap idea but I don't see any big issue with it personally if you rinse it away). What kind of bedding do they have? And I'm curious about their food too!

I hope I don't seem too harsh or straightforward, I just wanted to cover all bases right off the bat.

I'm sorry for your loss. That must be difficult to use the both of them that way.

What did you normally use to clean their tank?

Bleach reacts with their urine in a way that could have caused that. Especially if they were in a tank rather than a ventilated cage.

I'm also quite stumped because if it was an illness you wouldn't think they'd die at the same time... You mentioned a tank? They're strongly advised against because of the lack of ventilation, could they have suffocated on accident? I'm assuming no wounds so they didn't fight each other to the death. If you plan to put new rats in the tank regardless please wipe out the lysol with a damp cloth, it's only really recommended that you use warm/hot water and dish soap or water and vinegar(some people don't like the dish soap idea but I don't see any big issue with it personally if you rinse it away). What kind of bedding do they have? And I'm curious about their food too!

I hope I don't seem too harsh or straightforward, I just wanted to cover all bases right off the bat.
Hello and thank you for the kind response.

The little one had what looked like a bite mark on her leg, but it wasn't very bloody. She was on her back. The older one with the tumor looked normal, like she was sleeping.

I use standard recycled bedding recommended by my local pet store. Their food is mixed rat chow.

Thanks again

Hello and thank you for the kind response.

The little one had what looked like a bite mark on her leg, but it wasn't very bloody. She was on her back. The older one with the tumor looked normal, like she was sleeping.

I use standard recycled bedding recommended by my local pet store. Their food is mixed rat chow.

Thanks again
Hmm.. Even if one had killed the other(not likely) the other one shouldn't have just.. Died- I'm concerned that they could have somehow suffocated, is there any way this could have happened? And the question about bleach is a good question, do you use bleach to clean it?

My wife was using nail polish remover across the room. I looked it up and it's doubtful they'd die from one exposure.

I use dawn soap or baby wipes to clean the tank.

I didn't mention they were feeders I rescued from a pet store. Apparently feeders aren't bred to be pets like fancy rats, so it's possible their genes were shady. I did give them some of my parrots food since I had run out of theirs. I don't get it. The wild ones are hearty and survive anywhere.

Thank you

No doubt their genetics were awful but even so they wouldn't have died at the same time... I doubt it was the parrot food but if you tell me the brand and type so I can go over the ingredients I can tell you for sure. It's doubtful the nail polish remover did it because they didn't have direct exposure.

Sorry for your loss....

Was the tank near a heater, or window that could have gotten hot from the sun? Did they have plenty of water? Tanks are really bad for them. Having no ventilation, they can get respiratory infections super quick, and sometimes these go unnoticed, until it's too late. Rats will hide illness, and often an owner will have no clue, unless a necropsy was done. But two rats at one time is really strange. It could be that the old one died of natural causes, or likely had tumors where you couldn't see them, and the little guy could have had an unnoticed respiratory infection, and it was just a strange coincidence.

Either way, if you get more rats, get them a wired cage with bar spacing no more that 1/2 inch, but closer is better. Make sure it has solid floor space, and make sure they have plenty of entertainment and enrichment, with places to hide.

I'd also make sure to get them a good quality rat block, like oxbow adult rat food (age isn't important) or teklad, or science selective. Nothing with all the seeds and junk mixed in. Also, none of those chewable logs, or branches. Those can cause blockages, leading to death.

I hope some of this helps you. ☺️

Back