Bonding with older male rats? Is it possible?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggie

Recently became the owner of two male rats. They just turned two years old. They're spry for their age, but they aren't very trusting/bonded to humans, and certainly not me.
How can I befriend them and get them to be fine with cuddling with me and so forth? They take treats fine from my hands, but otherwise are very wary. Don't think the previous owner was doing much out of cage time with them. Are they too old to change their ways?

Not a bit...but its really up to them so it might or might not happen. You just do your best and let them know you are "there for them if they want it". With oldies there are ways of tipping the balance...they are often not as physically able as they used to be and may not be able to scratch all their bits they want to...this is where YOU come in. Rubbing itchy ears, scratching the back of the neck and shoulders (almost all rats love this as they cannot reach that spot), just below the shoulders is another itchy spot.
I used careful scratching to reach an old boy I took in a year ago. A year ago he was a no-touch biting aggressive boy. He's mellowed a lot and now lives on my bed since he drags his hind legs around..boy does that boy loooove his scratches. Now he seeks me out and asks for scratches and this weekend I got my first licks...I almost cried LOL

Back