The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SookieObiRonny&Bear

In August I adopted two five month old nuetered male rats, named Obi and Ronny to be the companions of my year old females, Sookie and Bear. I've been very busy and haven't had as much time as I'd like to bond with the new rats, and I'm not entirely sure how best to do that. If anyone has advice for bonding and bonding activities with new rats, I would appreciate it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 75
One of the best ways I know for bonding with new rats is wear a tight shirt and a loose shirt over it, tuck them both into your pants and put the rats in the shirt ! Just make sure they're rat clothes so you won't care if they get a bit chewed. If they aren't at a point where you can get them in the shirt you might have to spend any free time you have with them(open door, hand in the cage just slow movements at first, some rats like playing with hands though so they might try to get you to play !)

One of the best ways I know for bonding with new rats is wear a tight shirt and a loose shirt over it, tuck them both into your pants and put the rats in the shirt ! Just make sure they're rat clothes so you won't care if they get a bit chewed. If they aren't at a point where you can get them in the shirt you might have to spend any free time you have with them(open door, hand in the cage just slow movements at first, some rats like playing with hands though so they might try to get you to play !)
Thanks! This was helpful. I tried this with my rats and they weren't frantic, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I think they are finally starting to warm up to me.

Thanks! This was helpful. I tried this with my rats and they weren't frantic, so I'm taking that as a good sign. I think they are finally starting to warm up to me.
Good.! I'm glad you're getting through to them. I have one rat who's a little over 2 now and when I first got her I couldn't get hands on her without risking a bite, now she just pushes my hand away with her feet or nose if she's had enough love, but for the most part she just smothers me with kisses now ! She hates being picked up but won't bite anymore. I hope you keep on getting through to your little ones.

Back