Bonding tips?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bree

so sorry to keep posting like this!

Anyway, I got my baby a new girly. I already have an idea of how I want to bond them (carrier and neutral territory) but any tips on how to make the bonding more successful?
Thanks!

It may be because I'm tired, so I just wanted to clarify. Do you have at least a pair of same-sex rats?

How I bond with my rats is simply being around them-- offer your hand and arm in the cage, talk to them very softly, and don't move too suddenly. Loud noises can frighten them too, especially at this stage.
Treats are another great way to earn their trust, but that first requires that they walk up to you. I've used Puffs, but too many of those can cause diarrhea.
Some people may suggest a spoonful or applesauce or yogurt, but too much applesauce can cause runny poos. This helps the rats trust you because they have to be near you for the treat.

I assume that you have two same sex rats?
If they are both under 12 weeks old then they are babies and can just be put together because babies view new rats as playmates.
If any are over 12 weeks old the it is essential to do gradual introductions.
Please see joinrat.com and https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/introducing-new-rats.34842/#post-491257 for important, good information

If you want information about socializing the ratties and bonding with them, there are many good suggestions at joinrats.com

Please see the Reference Thread for good information https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
and I hope you post lots of pics :)

Yes they are both same sex rats and I have bonded well with both of them. They are both girls and have also bonded very well together. So well that when they are apart they get very sad therefore I never separated them. Thank you for all you information it has definitely helped

Awesome, just wanted to make sure! I wouldn't ever recommend separating them unless some medical issue came up, so don't worry about that.

Good luck with them :D

Back