Bonding pouch blues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starmaiden

I got a bonding pouch for my girls with the idea of taking them along safely when I go for walks or just around the house. The problem is, they don't want to stay in it. They like it and willingly go in it when I hold it up to their cage, but they only stay in it for a few seconds. They'd much rather be out and about climbing around on my shoulders. I'm really afraid if I take them out, they're going to fall off me. Any suggestions for getting them used to the idea of seeing the world from the bonding pouch rather than my shoulders/head? :lol:

In my experience bonding pouches are only good for shy and skittish rats. It gives them somewhere safe to run to if things get to be too much. If your rats are friendly and comfortable they will never stay in there! Good luck.

I take my girls on walks all the time. I only take one at a time, and as soon as she figures out that she's not leaving my shoulders she sits inside my shirt.

I was thinking of a bonding pouch for my most skittery girl, Lucille... but she's just too darn busy.

What about one of those small animal backpacks?

Heck I can't keep my girls on my lap let alone inside of something. Well maybe Ruby after she's run around and wants to have cuddle time.

A bonding pouch is just a flat fabric bag with a flap or something similar for the open top. Honestly, just put a couple of t shirts and an over sized sweater on. They'll love that more than they ever will the pouch. Mine hardly even gets played with as their free range floor sack.

Stairmaiden, you can look into a rat harness. I think someone sells them on the Goosemoose forums, and I think someone on this forum bought one at some point. It's not at all like the ferret harnesses you see in the pet stores, which rats can get out of very easily. Of course, if they're determined, our little rats can do just about anything, so it's just a secondary safety measure. Or you could get one of the backpacks that really close, that way they have no option but to stay in.

My girls learned not to go too far down my arms/chest while I'm standing by default. In their free range room [bathroom] I'd pop them on my shoulder while I set everything up, and they'd go from one shoulder to the other for balance. My first girl Mac was 'daring' and liked to see how high she could jump from to give mummy a heart attack. I missed catching her before she hit whatever she was aiming for a couple of times [ohhh the guilt and needless freaking out!!], and she learned not to jump from so high.

I don't know if my girls would stay in the bonding pouch or not....they love to be near your skin.....I put mine in the cuddle scarf and they love it and go to sleep.....Last night I looked in it and Maisie was on her back sleeping right under my chin....very cute and very warm....

When Clara was little, she was very shy, and she would freak out when I handled her until she crawled down into my bra and snuggled there. I thought about getting a bonding pouch, but heck, I already had a bra she liked! :wink:

I was only able to use my bonding pouch for a few days when I brought my babies home. It worked for them until they got comfortable and then realized it was alot more fun to jump out of it....So yea, I guess once they learn how to escape, it doesn't work anymore lol

LOL!!!! I had an idea that my boys would never stay in a bonding pouch so I didn't get one.

I would think, however, that your bonding pouch could come in handy if you need to take one to the vet.

Basil wants nothing more than to hide somewhere, on me, when he is trying to escape the vet. I often wonder if a bonding pouch would not be a good thing to have for such vet visits. :D

I ordered a bonding pouch for my boys but by the time I got it they were too big for it. My two younger girls like it but Coccoa, the oldest of the two, doesn't like to stay inside. The only problem is I can't let her run off because I don't have a "play area" in my room for her yet and I don't want her to run under the door where the dogs are. Our other female Miley hides in the very bottom corner of the pouch and turns her butt to you but occationally pokes her head out. She's still a bit skiddish of people.

Hey fellow rattie friends I too wanted a way to bond with my ratties but feared for their safety as I am also a cat owner. I develped with a seller on Ebay who does various rat and sugar glider cage accessories and bonding pouches and enclosed bonding scarf. They will make it customized to suit your needs if you message them. Look up seller hoonkapackus on ebay. You can view one under her items for sale. It is a fleece scarf that has windows for air flow and site seeing and one or two zipper openings for closing you rattie safely in the scarf around your neck while you walk, work, or just sit watching tv. My ratties don't hold still in it and snuggle as I wish the would but it has helped to create a better bond with them which were my intentions. It's only around $20.

Back