Bodger

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoBa

A few days ago I came back from holiday (my rats were looked after by my dad) to find Bodger, my oldest rat, not very energetic and breathing heavily. He had had mycoplasma from a young age as I adopted him from someone who got him from petsathome. We'd tried giving him antibiotics several times throughout his life and it never stopped his sneezes but it never got worse.
At first I thought it was just his old age tiring him out, but his the next day his breathing was even more laboured so I took him to the vets. The vet said he was at a good weight, had a healthy heart, and had enough energy to squirm out of her hands, so other than his crackly breathing, he was healthy. She provided Baytril and I was relieved then to hear that the vet had no worries of pneumonia. Bodger took the antibiotics with baby food and all seemed well until the day after, when I realized I hadn't seen him drink and only took a few licks of babyfood(which he would normally go crazy after). I called the vets and took him in after I tried giving him his afternoon medicine but he wouldn't take the baby food anymore.
This time it was a different vet and she was extremely concerned about his breathing. I thought I'd get some new antibiotics and painkillers for him and go home. I went home having booked a time for tomorrow to put Bodger to sleep.
I knew it was the kindest decision as he was obviously too focused on getting air in and out of his body to be doing anything else. I stayed with him the whole morning and by midday, he was breathing through his mouth. I knew this wasn't a good sign so I tried making him comfortable on my bed.
At 1:30pm August 31 2019, Bodger passed away, rested on my pillow. It was either a heart attack, stroke or seizure although I don't know the difference. At the time I was home alone and it was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.
I can't help but think I should've had him euthanized earlier and how stupid I was when I first went to the vets that I didn't realize he was not ok at all. Bodger had to suffer to the end and I feel awfully responsible. He was my sweetest boy and I loved him so much. At least he is free from pain now and probably having a blast with Badger. I need to spoil Yoda and Chewie so I have no regrets on how I treat them.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have my first rat, Bandit, and am trying my best to make him a very happy rat. I had a similar guilt feeling when I lost my betta fish, Sheldon. Since then I have spoiled all my fish and animals. But I learned that they always appreciate what we do for them. Don't feel guilty about Bodger, because you are right about him having a blast with Badger. Again, I am sorry for you loss, but there is no reason to feel guilty.

Thank you so much and I really appreciate your reply. I'm sorry for your loss too. Best of luck with Bandit and I hope all the wonderful rat owners of this forum can help to make him happy as well. Maybe you could get him a friend as rats are social animals? :)

Back