Blueberries not agreeing with rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fed my rat some blueberries yesterday and woke up to this weird blue rat diarrhea? Google said blueberries were safe for ratties but maybe my rat’s stomach just doesn’t agree with it? I’d be more worried but they’re not acting any different than usual.

Attachments

• EB51E480-5937-462E-A14A-8BF737D9699A.jpeg
    EB51E480-5937-462E-A14A-8BF737D9699A.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Blueberries are ok for rats, actually very healthy if not covered with pesticides.
Perhaps they just had a bit too much?
My rats eat wild (farmed) blueberries all the time with cooked oatmeal and do not have any problem.

It sounds like they are ok but keep an eye on them

There is good info re diet etc on the Reference Thread https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Blueberries are safe--I buy organic and wash them too. I can't quite see from your picture but mine do something that might explain this--they love blueberries but they refuse to eat the skin (same with basically any fruit--the insides are great but the skins are rejected). So, depending on the level of frenzy, I often wake up to bits of berry skin flung everywhere. Sometimes it looks like they had a berry massacre overnight.

It could be overdoing it diarrhea, though, depending on how many they have and what else they're eating. Mine have been ok about that though.

Back