bloody ears?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michidotblu

my adult rat has blood on her ears. only on the outside, no blisters or bumps. i’ve concidered that she might have mites, but i checked her just recently and did not find anything moving on her, only dandruff. i’ve noticed occasionally she has scabs on her back. otherwise she’s doing really well health wise. i’m really confused as to what’s going on and would like to avoid vet visits if this isn’t serious.
CD27CF1F-441F-459B-8DCA-CC055850B989.jpeg
0B448719-E935-446A-A92F-697957AF210C.jpeg

Attachments

• 7F11AF7D-C354-485C-BA8E-127D86095AEB.jpeg
    7F11AF7D-C354-485C-BA8E-127D86095AEB.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 147
  • E7C13D97-164D-41DC-AC97-49D907DDF0B1.jpeg
    E7C13D97-164D-41DC-AC97-49D907DDF0B1.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 122
It's actually porphyrin transference. Rats naturally have some porphyrin (red) discharge from eyes/nose. When they groom over their head the porphyrin gets onto the inside of their arms/wrists and when the do the arm over head scrub the red transfers to the ears. The scabs on her back are more concerning. Are there any scabs on her shoulders/neck as well? This could indicate she has mites and you need to treat all your rats with Revoluton

It's actually porphyrin transference. Rats naturally have some porphyrin (red) discharge from eyes/nose. When they groom over their head the porphyrin gets onto the inside of their arms/wrists and when the do the arm over head scrub the red transfers to the ears. The scabs on her back are more concerning. Are there any scabs on her shoulders/neck as well? This could indicate she has mites and you need to treat all your rats with Revoluton
thanks so much for your reply. i knew about porphyrin but i didn’t know it could transfer to other areas. and no i’ve only noticed 2 on her back. i’m a little worried she has mites, so last night i gave her a bunch of treats so she would sit still and i checked her and didn’t see anything moving on her. i saw dandruff though, but yea i didn’t see anything red or white moving on her. which is why i’m a little confused. maybe she just has dry skin?

Mites are invisible to the naked eye so you would only.see the symptoms like scabs, thinning fur, excessive scratching.

Here's a link to an article I created on ectoparasites (with pics) :)
http://lilspazrathospice.blogspot.com/2016/11/whats-on-my-rat-ectoparasites.html
thanks for the link. i read the article and checked her face and neck for scabs and didn’t find any. her skin also looks very pale and not irritated at all. the only scabs i’ve ever found on her is on her back. i do notice her itching her face sometimes but like i said, no scabs or irritation.

Back