Blood urine, owwie stretches, no reaction to antibiotics

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyn

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi all,

I am sitting here crying because I am so worried about our girl Sloetje. Sloetje was diagnosed with UTI 6 weeks ago. The UTI started 6 weeks after she was spayed. At that time she had blood and crystals in her urine. She was put on Synulox (antibiotics), Meloxydil (painkiller) and anti Struvite mixture. Her symptoms were relieved and she seemed not to have an infection after 2 weeks of antibiotics. We continued with the anti struvite medicine but after 1 week we again saw blood in her urine and NO crystals but overall discomfort and lots of owwie stretches. We started again with the Synulox. Now since 1 week she has been additionally diagnosed with inner ear infection so we added Baytril to the mixture. The vet adviced to stop the anti struvite because there were no crystals in her urine anymore.

She has been Baytril for 1 week and Synulox for 2.5 weeks now and we needed to stop painkillers because it was making her tummy hurt (blood was found in her stool, indicating that the painkillers were affecting her stomach, we added stomach protector (Zitac) and Sucralfate). The blood in her urine has seemingly gotten worse instead of that it is improving and the owwie stretches are also worse then before. Moreover, she is seemingly eating her bedding (cardboard and paper) and the pain seems to come from the left lower side of her abdomen. Her fur is puffed up a lot of the times and we know she is uncomfortable, and loosing weight even though she is eating relatively normally. We had an X-ray done and did a puncture check for other bacteria as well last week and no blather stones or bacteria were found.

So summarizing;

- blood in urine for 6 weeks now, no UTI, no crystals, no blather stones
- She is on Baytril (2x a day), Synolux (2x a day), Zitac (2x a day), Sucralfate (3x 0.01 g per day) and she has an adjusted Kidney friendly diet
- We have no clue on how old she is, anywhere between 1 year and 2 years old.
- Owwie stretches on the left lower side of her body
- She was spayed 3 months ago.

We have no idea what can be wrong with her. The persistent blood in urine and stretching + eating of bedding, constant nesting, not able to lie comfortobly... I have no idea.
The vet we had her spayed at is extremely extremely knowledgeble. She thinks it might be adhesions that came up when healing from the spay, but she says that she has never seen that before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We had her checked on Friday but will definitely go back on Monday again. We have just lost our other girl with PT and I am not ready to loose Sloetje as well.

Our vet doesn't know she is on Baytril, she prescribed Flagyl but I know that Flagyl antibiotics doesn't work as well for inner ear infections. Baytril is unfortunately not allowed as an antibiotics in the NL so we are being a bit secretive about it to our vets and I couldn't ask if the Struvite was okay together with Baytril. So now she is on Baytril for 3 days and Synulox for 3 weeks already and the Meloxydil for 6 weeks already. Again today I've seen blood in her urine and the uncomfortable stretching also continues. We had an X-ray done and did a puncture check for other bacteria as well last week and no blather stones or bacteria were foun

Hey SQ, thanks for that! I have been in personal contact a bit with Lilspaz68 and she was amazing to respond. Unfortunately her answer was also: I don't know.. it seems she is doing a little better though. We still don't know what it is, but with 2 weeks of antibiotics she now has less blood in her urine. She is still doing the stretching and is now on morphine for the pain. We are going to give her Finilac now as well to rule out PT.. its a lot a medicine for such a little lady

Sorry to hear that. Lilspaz68 is the most caring and knowledgeable person I know when it comes to rats.
Was the vet able to culture the infection? That would give a good indication as to which antibiotics would be useful.

I am not a vet and have little knowledge but sometimes chloramphenicol palmitate is helpful with infections that other antibiotics can not reach
..... Lilspaz68 would know if it were even a candidate in this case. It is a drug that is not used if any other drugs can be used instead because of the potential adverse impact. I have used it several times when needed, with my vet. Chloramphenicol – Rat Guide

Back