Blood around penis but no UTI

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwertz123

can please someone offer me insight, I’m not sure what to do and I want to do everything I can. For the past month my boy Arlo who is a bit over a year old has been having a tiny bit of blood around his penis area. I thought he had a UTI, so I treated him for three weeks. It seemed to be a little better but still not perfect. I stopped and then I started noticing it actually more than usual. I took him to the vet and he got an X-ray and a urine test and both were clear. Everyday I find a tiny bit of blood coming from his penis area. They’re starting him on baytril again to see if that helps, but his urine was clear and my doctor recommended possibly getting him neutered because apparently as rats age it’s something with their prostate. He said his prostate looked fine in the X-ray, but just in case. I’m so scared of losing him, he said he has neutered all of his rats and never had complications. What should I do? What is going on? He’s my heart rat and I want to do anything I can so he doesn’t suffer or die… I’m so so worried…

Probably an infection of the preputial gland. Best to vet him so you know what youre dealing with. Dont try to squeeze out pus or you risk directing the infection inward, which will really complicate it

Back