Bloated rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juste

Hi, this gonna be long post. You can judge me all you want, but i am in situation where i can't afford taking my boy to the vet.
One day i came back from shopping, wanted to take out my rats to free roam and noticed that one of my boys looks really bad. I did forgot to take pic or video of that, but my neighbours rat looked exactly the same right before death...So i assumed that it is time for him(he was sick from when he was a baby, he has chronic respiratory indection, he is deaf) and he is getting old. I don't know how to explain but he looked like a bike run him over, sides sucked in, waking funny, falling or stretching? On the sides, ass up and walking on tip toes. So i was thinking that was the last of his hours.. hold him and when i was petting him he seemed calmer and not so in pain i guess.
But he didn't die, next day he was stil sucking his sides in but it wasn't as bed. But his stomach was big and hard, i felt lump in his right side, i gave him pain medicine, and a bit of baby gass drops. Gave belly massage and when i pressed on one part of stomach the toot came out. Noticed that then he tried to poop but poop was really dry. Did gave him medicine to loosen up his stool, and did massage his belly in warn water(which he enjoyed). He did bigest S**t i ever seen a rat do. I don't know if i should attach the photo? But there was green stuff in there. I tried to see if it is hard but no, it was strange texture and squishy, tried to break it apart and inside was pale blue stuff that looked like compressed tissue paper...and really huge..
So now he is back to normal, he doesn't show any signs of pain, he is back to being very active boy, back to eating and pooping normally. But his stomach is still hard and a bit round.. not sure if that just how it has to be or there is still something wrong with him. He is acting normal.

If you could attach the photo that would be helpful, I'm wondering if he managed to get an abscess in his bowel though I've never seen it before... I personally won't judge you for not being able to afford the vet because I understand that prices are rising and it's getting tougher to pay for.. Everything- but you seem to really care about him so any judgment is uncalled for imo. If you happen to have any left over antibiotics you could give him that might help. I do however have a few questions like what bedding is he on? What does he eat? Is it possible he got into something while out of the cage that caused a blockage?

If you could attach the photo that would be helpful, I'm wondering if he managed to get an abscess in his bowel though I've never seen it before... I personally won't judge you for not being able to afford the vet because I understand that prices are rising and it's getting tougher to pay for.. Everything- but you seem to really care about him so any judgment is uncalled for imo. If you happen to have any left over antibiotics you could give him that might help. I do however have a few questions like what bedding is he on? What does he eat? Is it possible he got into something while out of the cage that caused a blockage?
For bedding i use shredded carton, they have box with coco soil, for litter i use 'Breeder Celect Recycled Paper Cat Litter', however i do put tissue paper inside of their plastic ball where they sleep.
Their food i buy from ratrations, isa-mix8. Also they get vegetables but not everyday. Like once a month i give them chicken drumstick with bone.
As i said what he pooped out when i tried to break it apart looked like a tissue paper, so maybe he ate that tissue from his ball. But i never noticed that he would eat papers, chew on carton-yes. But not eat it. In free roam there are not much that he could eat, there are plastic tunnel, carton tunnel, carpet, cat tree, box and toy from paper cupcake forms.
I always have baytril, doxyvet and amoxicillin on hand.
That's what their free roam place looks like(i know its a bit empty,i changed the place and didn't had a chance to do more). Anyway they spend most of the time in that cat tree if im not inside with them.
20220906_204124.jpg

So this was that poop he did. Basically all of it was that squishy texture. At first i thought that he pooped out some stones how green and shiny they were, but inside of it was pale blue.

20220914_000629.jpg

That how the cage looks, now i changed tissue paper in their ball to fleece. And i tried to take a pic of his stomach..can't manage to catch the right way to do it because you can't see nothing in the pic😁 but when touching it seems that there is something hard on the right side of abdomen.
20220918_193313.jpg
20220918_193709.jpg

Huh- I can kinda see something on his side- that is very odd poop but it makes me think that he did have a blockage- you might want to try the antibiotics just as a precaution but unfortunately I have... No earthly idea what else you could do, I only know that you probably saved his life with getting that to move

Huh- I can kinda see something on his side- that is very odd poop but it makes me think that he did have a blockage- you might want to try the antibiotics just as a precaution but unfortunately I have... No earthly idea what else you could do, I only know that you probably saved his life with getting that to move
Thank you, i will give him antibiotics than. I hope whatever that is in there will disappear with time. I just wish that i acted sooner when i saw that something very wrong with him instead of crying and preparing for the worst. But he looked in really bad condition...i thought he won't make it till morning.

Thank you, i will give him antibiotics than. I hope whatever that is in there will disappear with time. I just wish that i acted sooner when i saw that something very wrong with him instead of crying and preparing for the worst. But he looked in really bad condition...i thought he won't make it till morning.
I completely understand that and honestly probably would have done the same. I did do a bit of thinking and I was curious about if he was given any vegetables before it happened

I completely understand that and honestly probably would have done the same. I did do a bit of thinking and I was curious about if he was given any vegetables before it happened
I think a couple days before it happened i gave a little cauliflower, carrot, apple and cucumber.

I think a couple days before it happened i gave a little cauliflower, carrot, apple and cucumber.
Hm okay so not likely to be the cause, part of me was hoping as bad as that sounds

Back