Black Rice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiffanyKei

More than just a filler food for fat pets... If you've never heard about "The Forbidden Rice", it's a delicious and nutritious snack for rats (and their owners) alike. Black rice has higher amounts of antioxidants. It is also a source of fiber and minerals, including iron. A 100 gram serving has 8.5 grams of protein, 3.5 milligrams of iron and 4.9 grams of fiber. The main appeal is anthocyanin found in purple foods like blackberries, blueberries, cherries, cranberrie, .eggplant, grape juice, plums.prunes.

It may require extra rinsing to remove the starchy bubbling (also reduced calories ) but washes away some of the anthocyanin too. The least anthocyanin loss occured in the stovetop method https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6c49/33595b3ccf6bc42f63816f91e16d940e5f45.pdf Warning: It's stains. https://yupitsvegan.com/how-to-cook-black-rice-in-the-rice-cooker/

Last edited:
Oooo! Black rice makes amazing ramen noodles. Not cheap, but really, really good. The company that makes the noodles I use is called Lotus Foods. You can probably find them in the GTA, but if you're at a loss, Healthoholics in Kitchener carries them for just under $9. Not sure if they have black rice per se, but if not, they could probably order it in for you.

Thank you for letting us know it's rat-friendly. Always looking for new things for the fuzzies to try.

Your welcome. Being Asian, Black Rice is a staple in our culture. It is very cheap in my country. I am so angry about the prices here.

Interesting!!!
Good point about rinsing it too as I have read that there it is important because of contaminants in rice
Great that it is low protein too as rats need low protein :)

Oooo! Black rice makes amazing ramen noodles. Not cheap, but really, really good. The company that makes the noodles I use is called Lotus Foods. You can probably find them in the GTA, but if you're at a loss, Healthoholics in Kitchener carries them for just under $9. Not sure if they have black rice per se, but if not, they could probably order it in for you.

Thank you for letting us know it's rat-friendly. Always looking for new things for the fuzzies to try.
I'm in Sudbury so not as easily found. But I think I did see the black rice ramen noodles!!! I will try it!

Back