Bittersweet...Laila my Last Wildling...update 12/20

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Laila has been on her own for awhile now, her last sister Faerdae passed very suddenly. Laila didn't want to live with her mom, so she stayed on her own.
Poor Laila is fighting CHF which is very prevalent in her family. She was doing very well on enalapril for months, but then it recently stopped working, I added in lasix but it seems she is in the final stretch now.

Poor Laila gets so stressed out of her cage that she doesn't get Out time like the others anymore...she used to until she started gasping as soon as she was Out. :( Today I cleaned her cage and tried to put her back. She refused to go back in, and kept climbing on me!! Let's recap for people who do not know the Wildlings. They are 1/2 wild, 1/2 domestic, she has 3 brothers living with mamarat who are doing pretty well, and she has lost all her other siblings here (7 here, 10 total siblings). They are not very handleable and Laila was one of the sweetest but not a rat you could pick up. If they got loose they got even wilder and you usually had to live-trap or catch them in corners, etc.

But right now, Laila is on my shoulder, quiet for the most part, even bruxxing quietly and I felt her grooming. She will NOT go back in her cage and only stays very calm on me. I don't think she wants to be alone. Its lovely to be able to handle my sweet girl, but I know the end is soon. :sad3: Her biting sister Nissa did this as well. She let me hold and pat her in her last few hours and passed on my chest. :(

Laila is 27 months old and I never thought she would make it this far...
Laila1nov9.jpg

Cuddled into my hand
Laila2nov9.jpg

Awww, sweet girl! :sad3: I've also had that happen where a mean/aloof rat suddenly becomes loving at the end. I think they are trying to thank you and acknowledge you for your love and to say goodbye. :cuddle:

this is so sad, she was so pretty Wildies are, I am so gla she got close to you phyically at the end which shows she really trusted & loved you very much, Thank you for being such a good Mommy to them & sharing with us!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wishes for your Wildies!

We wish we could have told you,
in words you'd understand,
We wanted you to stay with us.
This wasn't what we'd planned.

We wish somehow to tell you,
How empty we now feel.
A part of us went with you,
A part that time can't heal.

We wish we had you back again,
to fill this empty space.
But one day we'll be together
in a far, far better place.
RatAngel.gif

So sad... these poor sweeties, but what a gift she's giving you now. I so cherish these moments, when uncuddly rats decide it's time to show their appreciation before they leave. Give her a little pat for me.

Sweet Laila is a real beauty. I'm so glad that she built up enough trust in you that she is coming to you for comfort in the end. May she have a peaceful passing. :heart:

Laila and her sisters couldn't had a better home than with you. And now this half wild beautiful girl is saying a sweet thank you and goodbye. I will never forget these Wildlings. :heart:

She is still with us, so she is rallying a little, but it was a sweet night. I had Asha on the couch with me, and Laila would be on the top of the couch under a clean hammock. She would come visit us every once in awhile. I would syringe Ensure into Asha and Laila would drink out of the jar I use to heat it up. She would gently sniff Asha when she was around her, surprisingly gentle. :)

I am picking up new enalapril or benazepril tonight, so may up her dosage a little. I am very pleased that she is comfortable being out on the couch with us. :thumbup:

Well I think she heard you guys, and has decided the Domesticated Life is for her, so she's not going to leave just yet. I lie on the couch cuddling elderly Asha and Laila sits behind my shoulders grooming, gently taking multi-grain cheerios from my hand. She even lets me pat her as I walk by and I got to pick her up and kiss her cheeks and belly :) She's making up for all the lost time with all my Wildlings. :heart:

She likes takeout :p
Lailanov9.jpg

Laiilatastynov9.jpg

Laila3nov9.jpg

Oh my goodness she's cute. What a sweetheart.

It's funny how they get all affectionate in their old age or when they get ill. It's very moving. Even my old rooster got more affectionate in his old age.

Aww that is awesome. It sure is nice to spend some quality time with them it almost makes it a little more bareable when they leave us. Or at least that was how I felt with Clover and Rose.

Back