Biting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I bought two male rats A week ago and I’m slowly trying to introduce myself to them however one of them approaches my hand and bites it he draws blood most of the time I was just wondering if anyone might know why he’s doing this or how to prevent this thanks

For now while you train him you can use a metal spoon with a licking treat to substitute for your hand, everytime they bite the metal, squeak or make a loud sound to show them that it's bad to bite. You can also try to figure out what he's afraid of and work with him on getting you used to that thing. If he's afraid of you, you can associate yourself with good by luring him to you with the spoon and when you pass the cage. If he's afraid of you touching him, you can use the metal spoon to distract him while you get him used to your touch, start with quick, small pets right when you give the spoon so that the licking treat is a reward, eventually move on to quick strokes on the back, then full petting. Does he seem to be afraid of anything specific? For example my rat Penny doesn't like going down the cage frontwards, she goes up and behind the cage, so I trained her to come down the normal way and it made her more confident altogether and less likely to hide.

For now while you train him you can use a metal spoon with a licking treat to substitute for your hand, everytime they bite the metal, squeak or make a loud sound to show them that it's bad to bite. You can also try to figure out what he's afraid of and work with him on getting you used to that thing. If he's afraid of you, you can associate yourself with good by luring him to you with the spoon and when you pass the cage. If he's afraid of you touching him, you can use the metal spoon to distract him while you get him used to your touch, start with quick, small pets right when you give the spoon so that the licking treat is a reward, eventually move on to quick strokes on the back, then full petting. Does he seem to be afraid of anything specific? For example my rat Penny doesn't like going down the cage frontwards, she goes up and behind the cage, so I trained her to come down the normal way and it made her more confident altogether and less likely to hide.
Thanks for the advice he dosent seem to be afraid of anything specific I think my hand may be the only think scaring him however he chooses to approach it and then bite or try and pull it into the cage he seems interested when I walk past the cage and comes towards me when I talk to them he just seems to want to bite anything that goes in the cage

Can it be that he doesn't know he's hurting you? Or he can be territorial since he sounds like a confident rat, if so, get him used to your presence inside the cage by giving treats while moving things around the cage. If he doesn't like your skin it would be great if you can spread the licking treat on your arm or knuckles (but don't do that if your sure he'll bite you), if he won't bite it would train him to get used to your skin and he if nips you can squeak and take away your hand until he calms down.

Can it be that he doesn't know he's hurting you? Or he can be territorial since he sounds like a confident rat, if so, get him used to your presence inside the cage by giving treats while moving things around the cage. If he doesn't like your skin it would be great if you can spread the licking treat on your arm or knuckles (but don't do that if your sure he'll bite you), if he won't bite it would train him to get used to your skin and he if nips you can squeak and take away your hand until he calms down.
Yeah I think he’s a confident rat don’t have this problem with any of my other rats but I’ll take time to work on it with him thanks for the tips 😊

Back