The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanniH

So my new baby rats have been biting. So I’m trying to do the spoon technique where you squeak when they bite it. I’m introducing soft food to the spoon so they’ll learn to lick instead of bite. I’ve been bitten twice by one of them. But the only food they seem to like is Cauliflower cheese baby food. If I hand them treats they grab them and nearly take my finger with them. So is there any other soft foods that are healthier to train them with on the spoon? As I know they aren’t really allowed baby food.

These are baby rats, kinda like puppies who try out the world with their mouth or teeth. For me I offer a little tasty food on my finger (just a smear) so they have to lick it rather than bite. Tell them they are good when they lick,use approving warm loving voice with their name, which changes tone when they start to use their teeth, once they switch back to licking modulate your tone again...rats are smart they will figure it out :)

Back