Biting Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Female, started since I had her at 3 months. She dashes at me in the cage and bites me. ill be wiping up urine, shes no where in site and then she comes out of nowhere and bites me and the girl clamps on and holds on. Thats been happening less, but out of no where she still does it. Or ill slowly pass a hammock and she lounges out at me. She feels bad every time, and then goes hide. The biting only happens in the cage. When shes out of the cage she is a sweet heart and loves getting kisses and hugs and loves hearing her name. She is also having anxiety, im noticing bald spots and its not bugs. I think she is having anxiety scratching like someone picking from stress. She use to hide during playtime in a corner and I could never catch her, had to use a net at first. She has gotten alittle better with that, she comes by me more but she still hides and doent want to go home. 2 days ago she was freaking out in the cage, actually screaming in a box, she was also attacking me everytime I went near her, I finally got her and put her in a separate cage and she hid in a hammock. Next day she was all better. Not sure if she was in heat or a mental thing??? The whole thing confuses me because she does not act like a normal rat. In trying my best to give her the best life but I could use some help and understanding her better.

How long have you had her? It takes a while to establish trust and create a bond between the both of you. You mentioned that she has 3 other friends - please observe them and see if they are bullying her! That can cause a whole host of issues.

In the article that I've linked below, while it is for pet mice, some of the tips can be used for pet rats as well:
  • Creating a stress-free environment for your pet
  • Other issues that may lead to biting: pain, elevated hormones, reaction to loud noises can be reasons.
  • Daily and consistent interactions will also help to strengthen the bond between you both so she knows that you can be trusted. Rats are highly intelligent and she may be bored, and in need of interaction and play.
Source: How to Get your Pet Mouse to Stop Biting | Rodent As Pet

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes =)

I did everything in that source you sent and she did get better for good 6 months maybe 2 bites a month. But since august before I got the new rats she started biting more and started to bald. The new rats actually got her really excited, during playtime she would run to their cage, thought that was adorable, the balding stopped, slightly less biting. Then the past month biting multiple times a day, she stopped coming by me, and she stayed in her hammock. I called the vet they thought she was sick and I thought so to because she was waaaaay more aggressive than normal. Something wasnt right. So I decided to put her to sleep yesterday. Very sad but the vet said she was suffering. Thank you so much for writing back, I appreciate that source you sent, kinda let me know I did try everything right since I got her.

she has some very odd behaviours which may be causing her stress/pain etc. Screaming in a box - was anyone in there with her? Or was she alone? Have you seen her flail around, or dash through the cage like a crazy thing? Could be seizures. The bare patches, where are the? her forearms, shoulders etc? If so she's barbering.

Just a question, is she agouti? Can you post a pic or video of her?

I got her from a pet store so im not sure what type of rat she is. She was alone in the box. Not dashing in the cage like crazy. Bare spots were on the shoulders

Attachments

• 20210603_024601.jpg
    20210603_024601.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210715_232912.jpg
    20210715_232912.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20211004_222250.jpg
    20211004_222250.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 60
Back