biting during pay with me

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agy

My George has started getting very rough during play with me. He never used to do it. I wonder if it's my fault as I've been wrestling with him too much and maybe he didn't like it. He bites my hand and when I try to get away, he actively searches for my hands and really tries to bite them like he's possessed. Proper attack on me. I tried making a loud noise, stopping play, hiding my hands, putting him away from me but he hasn't learnt it hurts me. I have to add he never bites outside of play time. Any other suggestions? Maybe he's generally rough as when he plays with Seymour, Seymour often makes noises like he's being hurt.

How old is George? It sounds like he's becoming hormonal. He may need a neuter to help him deal with that. For now, stop wrestling with him. When he goes after you, say a firm NO and if he stops, give him a treat. Each time he's about to come after you, say NO and treat when he turns away from your hand.

I read about something called chemical altering. What on earth is that? I had to stop playing with him and he was fine; didn't bite again. But when I tried to move him in instances when he was adamant about chewing something specific, he launched a vicious attack on me again. I am actually a bit scared of him now. Neutering is out of question. I cannot afford it. He's ok walking on me or when I put my hands inside a cage but I won't play with him or attempt to move him again.

I'm not sure if chemical castration works the same as a neuter. But I would definitely check out joinrats.com to help you deal with his hormones.

He's been alright lately again. It seems to be a fluctuating thing (as hormones are). I don't wrestle with him at all and I don't pick him up if he's determined about doing something. He's been great so far. No problems stroking his head etc. Happy to sit on my shoulder when I get home from work and unpack my bags etc. Great website btw. Very informative.

Hes definitely a hormonal buddy. My rat did the exact same thing and when i left my house for the weekend my mom was takimg care of him she threw him in with the female because he bit her to much. He got laid and hasnt bitten since. I do not recommend this as now we have 16 babies that I didn't plan for but my mom just loves them so much she doesn't wanna let any of them go. I would definitely get him fixed though. Or at least check into it its a little pricey like between 50 and 75 and make sure you find a vet thats comfortable with doing it because I realized a lot of then have never done small rodents such as rats.

I definitely can't afford that. i'm managing it very well now actually. i just need to be aware when he is that bat **** crazy mood. then i keep my hands well away from him. he is normally good. this biting thing is him getting over excited/hormonal but he is definitely not aggressive

Back