Bite marks on older rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trilu88

I have 4 rats. 2 older between 1 year and 6 mos and 1 and 8 mos. About 4 month ago I added 2 younger rats which were about 1 and a half months old when I got them. I did introductions and everything well very they had dominance scuffles but nothing out of the ordinary. Recently I have noticed that my older rats have bite marks on them and my younger ones do not. They have obviously gotten into fights when I’m not home and I don’t know what to do I have separated the older ones temporarily but am afraid to reintroduce them. I’m not sure what do do next. Please help!

Do you have any photos? It could be mites. If the mites don't cause little tiny red dots all over their body (primarily head, shoulders, and rump), the rats may be getting crabby and picking on each other. If it isn't mites, make sure there is enough food, water, and hides for everyone.

First, I would make sure nothing health-wise is going on. This includes anything, not just mites. There may be an underlying illness you're not aware of and the rats may be reacting to it. If there doesn't seem to be an illness, your younger rats may be aggressive due to hormones. How do they act around you? Do they have puffy fur, do they walk with their back arched, etc.? If it is hormones, I'd recommend spaying or neutering the younger rats. Hormone-based aggression can lessen with age, but during this hormonal stage, they're often quite unhappy and it's not a good quality of life if they're always upset.

Bite marks are huge gashes with rats. If it's tiny, then it's scratches. 99% of the time it's mites. Do a mite treatment on all of them with Revolution and then reassess their behaviour.

Back