Bird toys for rats?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question regarding used bird toys. When I bought the (used bird) cage for my future ratties, I got a few wooden branches and a colorful thick rope with it. I think they would be perfect for rats but the problem is that they've been used for birds.

Is there any way I could disinfect the toys and use them or should I just be extra careful and throw them away? I definitely don't want my rats to get sick because of the toys but they would be so perfect.. I'm kinda leaning towards throwing them away. What are your thoughts or experiences?

If it were me, I would throw the branches and rope into the freezer for a couple weeks and use them after that. I have some applewood branches that were from trees outside and I just throw those into the freezer for 2 weeks and then use them. I haven't had any negative effects.

My kiddos love bird toys with rope or paper. They usually last for about two weeks before they are shredded into super comfy nesting material. Since I know that they'll eventually be destroyed, I typically get the ones that are under $5. Here's the ones that are currently in their cage:

[center:134imhwy]
652923031410C.jpg

pPETS-3756803t400.jpg

pPETS-3763525t400.jpg
[/center:134imhwy]

Just ordered these hope they like them!!!

If it were me, I would throw the branches and rope into the freezer for a couple weeks and use them after that. I have some applewood branches that were from trees outside and I just throw those into the freezer for 2 weeks and then use them. I haven't had any negative effects.

That seems to be a very good idea. The only problem for me is that at the moment I have only this tiny freezer box inside the fridge. :( The only thing I could fit there is the rope. The freezer box has a higher temperature than a "normal" freezer so I wonder if it will be efficient enough.

My kiddos love bird toys with rope or paper. They usually last for about two weeks before they are shredded into super comfy nesting material. Since I know that they'll eventually be destroyed, I typically get the ones that are under $5. Here's the ones that are currently in their cage:

[center:134imhwy]
652923031410C.jpg

pPETS-3756803t400.jpg

pPETS-3763525t400.jpg
[/center:134imhwy]

My girls have one of these and they have exactly 0% interest in it. :lol:

They friggin love these new ones though, although they're under "small pet" on DF&S - they make similar bird ones:
p-28161.jpg

p-77978-61135-36-bird.jpg

They friggin love these new ones though, although they're under "small pet" on DF&S - they make similar bird ones:
p-28161.jpg

[/QUOTE]

My boys love this one too.

Back