Bioactive cage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper_rat

I recently changed over to a bioactive cage for my girls and they are loving it! They dig elaborate and seriously cool looking tunnels and sleep, eat, and cuddle down there! They’re also not sneezing nearly as much as they used to and I haven’t heard even a random sneeze. My girls seem so much happier and my slightly overweight girl even started to lose weight because she’s digging so much!

Attachments

• 921BF799-0A17-4483-94E2-55C940A5A9BD.jpeg
    921BF799-0A17-4483-94E2-55C940A5A9BD.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 4D3C7B99-B34C-4AC2-B348-734C5714839A.jpeg
    4D3C7B99-B34C-4AC2-B348-734C5714839A.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 97A5C4FD-3AA1-4F9F-9B70-B430968A6A26.jpeg
    97A5C4FD-3AA1-4F9F-9B70-B430968A6A26.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 169
Is the tub the Sterilite 40gal Wheeled Latch Box with Wheels and Handle Tote? How tight is the fit? Any gaps around the lip?
Yes! I got it from target and it fits perfectly for the length but is sadly slightly too short on the width. It was considerably cheaper than buying the plexiglass that most people buy for a bioactive cage set up. For the missing area in the front I just took a piece of the lid that I cut to fit (you don’t need the lid for anything anyway) and used pipe cleaners to hold it on (my girls chew through zip ties) they haven’t even tried to chew out of the lid but we put hardware cloth underneath just in case. We also put a ledge and a litter box in the back corners just to make sure as there are very small gaps in those corners. None of our girls could fit but babies could. The box is holding but great to the dirt and it’s super heavy duty. Overall I recommend a bioactive set up and the tub worked really well for us as a cheaper alternative! If you want more information on bioactive cages, just ask! :)

This is so cool! I've been considering ways I can go bioactive with the way my room is set up. I have a bunk bed and the rats live on top in a 42inx24inx24in rabbit cage and I worry that if I made it bioactive I'd have dirt, springtails and isopods being kicked onto my head at night as I slept. 😂 I figure the best way to start is to do a separate bioactive dig box, so I've been doing my research on isopods and springtails and suitable rat plants for a dig box. My boys are super active and they love to eat the meal worms I breed (they're supposed to be for my hedgehog buuuut sometimes I give them to the boys) so I think they'll be really excited about a living dig box. Are you in the Naturalistic & Bioactive Rat Setups Facebook group?

This is so cool! I've been considering ways I can go bioactive with the way my room is set up. I have a bunk bed and the rats live on top in a 42inx24inx24in rabbit cage and I worry that if I made it bioactive I'd have dirt, springtails and isopods being kicked onto my head at night as I slept. 😂 I figure the best way to start is to do a separate bioactive dig box, so I've been doing my research on isopods and springtails and suitable rat plants for a dig box. My boys are super active and they love to eat the meal worms I breed (they're supposed to be for my hedgehog buuuut sometimes I give them to the boys) so I think they'll be really excited about a living dig box. Are you in the Naturalistic & Bioactive Rat Setups Facebook group?
That's awesome! I think a separate dig box would be a great start! I am part of that group and also the bioactive setups for mammals group.

Back