Bingo prize ideas for seniors, anyone?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

My boss is part of some volunteer program and this weekend they're heading off to some nursing home to spend time with the old folks. They were charged with coming up with a way to entertain the residents, and one of the things they'll be doing is Bingo. What kind of prizes do you award to the elderly? We thought about food goodies, but realize some residents may not be able to eat certain foods. Almost everything I come up with is in some way not really appropriate for people who may be disabled or impaired in some ways, who rarely leave the building, etc. Anybody have some creative ideas that will make some wonderful old folks smile?

I don't know what you can and cannot do but...

For the oder ladies over there, if I rely to my grand mother who is now 94ish, a hair session seems a good idea. I don't know if those people have a salon where they live, you could use gift certificates, or organize for a hairdresser to go onsite if they don't. I know that's a long shot, but I know my grand'ma would just LOVE this. :giggle:

ETA - I just had the thought after posting and it made my laugh, so I had to bring it up : how about a rat petting session? :lol:

Unepuce said:
I don't know what you can and cannot do but...

For the oder ladies over there, if I rely to my grand mother who is now 94ish, a hair session seems a good idea. I don't know if those people have a salon where they live, you could use gift certificates, or organize for a hairdresser to go onsite if they don't. I know that's a long shot, but I know my grand'ma would just LOVE this. :giggle:

ETA - I just had the thought after posting and it made my laugh, so I had to bring it up : how about a rat petting session? :lol:

That's actually a terrific idea Unepuce! I'll have to check and see if they have an onsite hairdresser who would be willing to give a free hair session (because wouldn't it usually be billed to a resident's monthly statement or something?idk), or arrange for one to visit onsite. An on that note, I wonder if men could be offered one of those old fashioned shave and facial sessions? I remember grandpa was in a place where he sometimes had to wait all week for a nurse who had time to help him shave.

That's awesome, I'm going to shoot run it across my boss now. Thank you!

My mother in law who is now 72 would probably love the hair salon idea. She's an avid bingo player too.
Or maybe hire a hair dresser to go into their home for the make over or hair cut.

If you need lots of inexpensive prizes best thing to do is lay them all out on a table and let each winner come up and choose their own as they win, then you don't have to worry about allergies (if a staff member is present) or who likes what - and choice in itself is a gift when you're in a place that just gives you what you get....
Hit the grocery store for candy, cookies, crackers, individual bakery items, canned oysters....
then hit the buck store for bath products, lotions, puzzle books, puzzles, games, all-in-1 craft projects, little stuffed critters, drawer sachets, nice little complete nail kits, fabric spray for a pillow, socks, slipper socks, flashlights, nice warm scarves or toques, nice writing paper, calendars or date organizer books ...
grand prizes can be those nice fleece blankets with pictures on them, slippers, radios with earplugs, nice small boxes that lock, digital keychains you can put pictures in (with a promise to take their pictures and do it for them)... and why not some airline sized bottles of liquor if the home ok's it?

Back