BIG HELP NEEDED

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I agree moon. When I saw how Jack wanted to go back in the cage and when she got back in she went right over to the one and played and they also slept together.... Even if they weren't sick I don't think it's a good idea to split them up.

They are so sweet. I gave them apples today and they just went nuts (so did my ruby and hazel). I open the cage door and they all come over. The platinums shy away a little when you go to pet them but all of them are so sweet and loving.

I am so excited for you mamarat. Even though they may be sick you are getting some sweet rats. You guys will have to send me pictures.

It's sad I was so excited but I know it's for the best and I am getting happier about that.

Last night I started to cry because of everything I was sad for the rats and myself and not being able to keep Jack and Wayne gave me a big hug and said "don't worry we will go out and find a rat with Jacks markings." :( He's so sweet.

Thank you so much you guys. You've been an big amount help.

I'll send you all the pictures you want, LA. Giving up Jack proves you're an extremely good rat lover. You need a couple of babies or three now to mend your heart.

I talked to Michelle, she feels really bad and also said it was just this past week that she hasn't been able to spend the proper amount of time with them..

She said that the sneezing had to have only started this past week because last week they weren't sneezing at all or wheezing. They were fine but the last week she had been very busy with her daughters and didn't give them that much attention this week. So I hope that is a good thing. She also said it was interesting when I told her about Jack and how she was with the platinums being with them, she told me that it always seem like it was the platinums together and jack all by herself. But I wonder if the stress of the whole situation has brought them together.

What is your takes on this.

My take on all this, I won't say cause it wouldn't be very nice. :wink:

But I will say, patchy fur and scabs do no develop in just a couple of days.

I agree with Jo on that account, for sure.

But the stress of the new situation could have brought the girls closer together, and brought on a lot of the sneezing. The patchy fur is never a good thing, though.

She knew about the fur now whether it was from the cat food or something worse I don't know.... they are still sick and that's that. Oh well, at least if the sneezing and wheezing only started a week ago that's a good sign in some respect, it hasn't been that long then.... Oh well... poor rats :(

You're right, if she's telling the truth, sneezing for just a week is a very good sign, gives us a chance to catch it in the beginnings.
If the wheezing is in the chest, then that's another story. :(

LA said:
OKAY...

As you know I picked up my new rat Jack and the two Platinum Dumbos Bambi and Dumbo. They are all real sweeties. The platinums are fairly easy to pick up but don't like to be held as much.

But their may be a problem.

We noticed that the cage STANK badly. So we took them outta there and cleaned it up and put them back. We also noticed that all three of them were sneezing constantly. The two platinums were weezing (maybe Jack too she whistled a bit when she was sniffing my hair). I will continue to monitor them but I am really concerned that it could be myco. I am not knowledgable at all in this. Also when people complimented me on my rats health I felt good but was rather curious. Now I know why. She had warned me that her daughters had put cat food in the rat cage and due to the high protein they had patchy skin... we it's not that it's patchy hair. I can see bald spots... So here are my questions.

1. I know that myco has to be treated, and I know you can't cure it so what should I do.

2. I was reading up on myco and it says it can be transported short distances by air, how long is short distances? 3feet, 6 feet, etc.

3. If Jack is sick I can't put her in the cage with my girls. Of course I will do a 2 week quarantine but if she has to stay by herself that would be crappy for her too.

I am just up in arms right now. I'm thinking to myself what did I do.... I feel like crying because I don't want Ruby and Hazel to get sick too. I am so worried.

Amy help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lea-Andra

hang in there Lea-Andra. Sometimes the little fuzz bandits will give us a run for our money. Sometimes they make it... sometimes they don't. What counts is that we are trying... rats are highly intelligent animals, they know who is on their side. They are also very resilient. There is a very good chance that they will pull through this ordeal. You are doing the right thing... and they will always love you for that. :)

Hehehe..jen, just for your info, the rats are ALL going to Mamarat this Saturday. LA wasn't prepared for sick rats and decided it was in their best interest not to split up the cagemates. :thumbup:

Well, some updates.

I noticed this morning that Jack is not sneezing as much as the other two. Also this morning I was checking in on them Jack was out by herself and came to the front when she saw me (she's so sweet) and she sneezed once when I was paying attention to her. The other smaller platinum (which I have called Bambi as I don't know which one is which but decided that the big one is Dumbo and small one is Bambi) came out and started to sneeze and that set Jack off. She seems to sneeze less when the others are sleeping and not sneezing.... strange. Probably just toying with me.

Also I do know that Dumbo seems to be the alpha and also bites. She actually bite me harder last night, didn't hurt but it was hard bite. Also I had grapes in my hand to give to them and I think the smell of food set her off.

Bambi doesn't bite and neither does Jack. So it's just Dumbo that does. But she is the one with the porphyrin coming out of the eye and it's really possible that she is not feeling well and doesn't know why and doesn't know what to do about it. I think that's why she's biting for the most part. Her eye was worse yesterday though, now it's all around the eye. And as you can tell from my post in the first aid kit thread I don't have anything. Sorry mamarat. I have learned a lot of lessons with this. And next week will be out to the vets and shopping to get needed items.

They all come running to the door when you go to open it. Although Bambi and Dumbo shy away from hands I still pet them. I find that all three have been bruxing when I am paying attention to them. Especially Jack when you pet her or pick her up. She really likes to sit on your shoulder.

I haven't taken pictures, I didn't want to stress them out more then they already are. So you will have to look to Joanne and mamarat for pics.

Back