Best toys?!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Brittykb

Looking for toys and such to keep my girls busy. Ive tried stuffing toilet paper rolls and such but they never seem to care about them. So looking for either store bought or diy! Thanks!

That's hard, I've never found mine to be very interested in toys, more interested in exploring.. they like boxes, enjoy paper strips, mine like cooked bones, they'll haul those around from place to place.. a piece of corn on the cob always causes excitement..

The best toy is a cardboard box, with a hole/door in two sides and one in the top. Loosely fill the box with rumples paper and they will have fun rearranging the inside, climbing on it etc.

They also love hammocks

This fisher price garage is a big hit as are some types of cat climbers
And tubes on the floor to run through, run on, and explore, as well as hanging tubes are also a hit

Here are a few pictures of some toys in the martins playpen (it has a hinged wire cover that prevents them from climbing out)

EDIT: Btw, this is a large martins powder coated (paint is baked on to prevent rust) playpen (martinscages.com) They are made in the USA. As you can see, the bar spacing is ideal for rats and other small animals. I highly recommend the large playpen, as well as the R695 and the larger cage for pet rats (powder coated with flip top lid).

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

Last edited:
My girls love to carry around and destroy paper bags I get from the drive thru. I'm not sure if its the smell of food or the fun noise it makes but I can heat them pulling it around the cage late into the night :D

My girls used to love cat jingle ball toys. Penelope used to pick one up in her mouth and zoom around the cage with it, I would hear it jingling at all hours, day and night.

They also liked the cat chase toys on a stick, I had one that was a little feather boa at the end of a plastic stick and would shake it around and make it tickle them and they would chase, pounce on and bite it.

Then there was one I bought from Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars that was a walnut in a shell surrounded by a ball of something like dried grass/twig/straw material. They loved shredding them and then chewing open the walnut inside.

I also made a tunnel obstacle course throughout their cage of 4 inch diameter pvc pipe sections that they would chase each other through and hide their favorite things inside of.

They were big fans of those lava ledges, I staggered them all over the cage for them to play on and they got well used.

One last thing was the corks from wine bottles. They loved to carry those around the cage as well.

Thanks allie! I used to give my kids corks and I totally forgot how much they loved them! Gonna give my kids some I have put aside for crafts now.. guess I need to start drinking wine! :p

Thanks allie! I used to give my kids corks and I totally forgot how much they loved them! Gonna give my kids some I have put aside for crafts now.. guess I need to start drinking wine! :p

It takes me a long tome to finish a bottle of wine so they were a hot commodity around my house for a while. I had my friends save theirs for me lol.

Back