Best shavings to use

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella10291000

Hi everyone,
I currently use care fresh shavings but lately when I clean the cage, is seems extra dusty and my rats are sneezing more. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other shavings that are dust free and great for rats. Thanks in advance!

Are you using this in the bottom of the entire pan? Most use fleece to line the pan, and yesterday's news (no scents) in the litter pans. Rats are really easy to litter train.

I just get what's cheap, since my rats love to chew and rip the fleece and they like to sleep UNDER the fleece on the bare pan! I even put extra scraps in their cage for them to nest with. Joann's (crafting store) had a huge sale on fleece for black Friday, and right before Christmas, so we went and got a TON of fleece (20yards) for $2.99 and $3.99 a yard! I look for what's on clearance at different places, and just get that. My rats don't care what the design is. I just try not to get ugly stuff, but like I said, they aren't picky. I use my fleece until I absolutely can't wrap it around a pan anymore, then I either cut it and use it on smaller pans, or cut it up for scraps.

I use fleece/uhaul mats on the platforms in my boys cage but I much prefer a loose substrate on the floor. Loose substrates are generally much better for odor/ammonia control than fleece. I scatter feed so using a loose substrate allows my boys to forage for their food so it's enrichment, as well. I've been pretty happy with aspen shavings. If I think it's too dusty, I sift out the excess with a mesh laundry basket before putting it in the cage.

For fleece liners, I want urine to travel through them quickly and easily so I use the cheapest, thinnest fleece I can find. $2 Ikea throws are great.

I use fleece/uhaul mats on the platforms in my boys cage but I much prefer a loose substrate on the floor. Loose substrates are generally much better for odor/ammonia control than fleece. I scatter feed so using a loose substrate allows my boys to forage for their food so it's enrichment, as well. I've been pretty happy with aspen shavings. If I think it's too dusty, I sift out the excess with a mesh laundry basket before putting it in the cage.

For fleece liners, I want urine to travel through them quickly and easily so I use the cheapest, thinnest fleece I can find. $2 Ikea throws are great.
Hi there! Do you have the brand of aspen shavings that you use? I may start sifting my shavings out with a mesh sandy basket before putting it in the cage. Do you also use a type of kitty litter for them to use the bathroom?

I don't have a favorite brand of aspen. I use So Phresh or Kaytee mixed with a shredded aspen horse bedding. The shredded aspen horse bedding is a finer texture like what pet stores sell as snake bedding. It's very cheap but very dusty so it absolutely needs to be sifted. The texture is quite soft but it lays pretty flat and dense so I like to mix it with shavings so the overall bedding has more "body" and is a bit lighter and fluffier so it's easier to forage through. So Phresh shavings are a bit chunkier and Kaytee a bit finer but wood is wood so I'd suggest trying some different brands out to see if you can spot any differences. For me, it mostly comes down to price.

I don't have a favorite brand of aspen. I use So Phresh or Kaytee mixed with a shredded aspen horse bedding. The shredded aspen horse bedding is a finer texture like what pet stores sell as snake bedding. It's very cheap but very dusty so it absolutely needs to be sifted. The texture is quite soft but it lays pretty flat and dense so I like to mix it with shavings so the overall bedding has more "body" and is a bit lighter and fluffier so it's easier to forage through. So Phresh shavings are a bit chunkier and Kaytee a bit finer but wood is wood so I'd suggest trying some different brands out to see if you can spot any differences. For me, it mostly comes down to price.
First of all, hello! Second - I also sift Aspen wood chips, the brand I use is Small Pet Select. It’s really affordable for how big it really is.

Back