Best rat toy

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariekitten

I've been making toys and houses for my rats and mice lately and looking for ideas online since I can only afford to spoil them so much with premade purchases. So I am looking for suggestions :)

So far the best toy ever I found quite by accident. I have an old pill organizer that's been lying around on a shelf empty and I noticed the rats had gotten into it, gotten all the little compartments open and chewed it a bit. So I had a brainstorm and I took it and filled it with treats of various types, its got 14 little compartments and they just love it! They have opened about half so far and they sit there and nibble and have so much fun, they don't even chew it any more :D

I love to make my boys treat pockets. I usually use fleece, or I crochet them. They love to tear into them. Actually, tearing into anything is fun when there is a treat inside. Plastic is fun, toilet paper rolls. I have even used old socks.

I also love to hang things JUST out of reach, given then something to do. They always manage to reach it. Usually just a string of cheerios.

Anything foam is great too, my boys like flat foam cutouts and blocks. They also love cardboard. Pop boxes make great hideouts. Mine think they are great to pee on and chew.

I recently (accidentally) discovered how much fun rats can have with newspaper! They tear it to shreds and put it in their hammocks and all around their cage. They have a lot of fun with it.

Thats about all I can think of, and all the things I give my guys on a regular basis.

I wondered about foam, whether it was safe for them, I know they love it, they keep shredding the foam around our bed. The Cheerio string and hanging stuff are something I have to try, sounds like fun. And the treat pockets too :) Thanks!
I made my mice a bunch of popsicle stick toys and cardboard houses and such and they love them, turns out the rats do too, altho they look like Godzilla attacking, but I'm thinking of making them some toys like that next. I bet they shred them faster than the mice do! lol

Haha rats can be quick to shred. But it's a sign of love.

I don't like giving my boys anything wood because I can't stand cleaning up the mess they make when they chew it. Especially when washing their bedding (I use fleece). But I have make them Popsicle stick houses before.

Yesterday I got a little gift from my mom that came in a plastic egg and we filled it with Cheerios and gave it to them to get into. Didn't take them long. My mom had fun watching them.

Do you have males or females?

Back