Best group-size

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

Any ideas to the perfect group-size? Looked at an English forum and they say 6 is perfect - my max was 36 males and 38 females, but usually I keep it around 20-25. In 2½ years I've had 3 males neutered and one female pts because of temper (no neutering of females in Denmark :( )

Personally a nice manageable number is 6. Although currently I'm at 27 but that's with not having a life. :lol:
I guess it all depends on how much time you have to devote to your pets and also the sizes of cages. 6 in an FN is going to be my goal in the future.

I think that 6 is a good number ... in a perfect world I would have 2 around 2 years, 2 around 1 year, and 2 babies ... :)

At present I am at 15, having lost 7 this year :(

don't know how this happened :oops: ... I'm only supposed to have 6 ... my mother/landlord makes periodic visits to count ....

I have to get better at rehoming rescues cause the unadopted ones get stuck living with me ... poor babies!! :)

The most I have had at one time was 6. I currently have 5 rats.

For me the ideal number of rats is 4. :) I found a noticeable difference in the amount of time/how often I had to clean when I went from 4 to 5 rats. That was also the breaking point for me where I could not let them all roam in my bedroom at once and keep an eye on everyone -- making it more tedious to give them their free time.

I think it really depends on your lifestyle, as to how many rats is ideal for each person.

Lise said:
The most I have had at one time was 6. I currently have 5 rats.

For me the ideal number of rats is 4. :) I found a noticeable difference in the amount of time/how often I had to clean when I went from 4 to 5 rats. That was also the breaking point for me where I could not let them all roam in my bedroom at once and keep an eye on everyone -- making it more tedious to give them their free time.

I think it really depends on your lifestyle, as to how many rats is ideal for each person.
I have a new pet room now so I'm hoping that helps work out 5 boys and 5 girls at a time... and 11 babies until I find homes for some... so that oughta be interesting.

Back