best DIY platforms for cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this a decent cage for my ratties?

• good

• bad

• its ok, you can make it work

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

ratnewbie

hi guys, I'm very new and green to this entire thing, ive been in research mode reading and watching lots of videos on pet rats for the past month. i am in the beginning stages of setting up my rat cage (I'm waitlisted by the nearest rattery ) and in no rush. I'm taking it a day at a time until everything is perfect.

i wanted to know what are yalls best method for diy platforms? the cage i purchased has 3 floors, the first floor being the very bottom level which is a full platform obviously, and both the middle and 3rd floor are about a third (more like a shelf) i would like to somehow convert the middle and top floor to a full floor, just like the bottom to maximize the space. what would be the best method of doing this?

i read a few forums and they just used fabric platforms, but i don't want to use this method as i would not be able to prop anything onto this surface such as an extra food dish, or potty.

i have two ideas on how i can achieve this and was wondering if anyone has used either one of these ideas or how they have have successfully made platforms in their cage.

my first idea was using hardware cloth, but ive never used it or felt it so idk if it would bend whilst the ratties walked upon it

( i of course plan on wrapping all these platforms seen here in felt or fabric to maximum comfort)

my second idea was using coroplast (corrugated plastic sheet) however idk how i would attach it and secure across the cage. i would imagine it would need to be stabilized somehow other wise i would imagine much like a fabric platform it would bend in when the ratties walk over it?

the cage i purchased, its perfect for my apartment size and according to the rat cage calculator it can house a maximum of 5 rats. (I'm only adopting 2 however so they should have plenty of space)

s-l1600.jpg

Something I've done for extra platforms in my cage in the past is buy cheap baskets (the kind with holes in the side) from the dollar store and some zip ties to secure them to the bars. Then I filled the baskets with fleece for bedding.
I've never worked with hardware cloth myself, but it does look like it will bend at least somewhat. I can imagine that if you maybe get hardware cloth and secure it tightly enough to the sides of the cage with zip ties though it won't bend. Maybe even put cardboard in between it to make it more sturdy.
I've also seen affordable wooden platforms for sale on Etsy. (something like this) You might be able to DIY something like that with some wood paneling and washers.
I would still suggest getting them something like a hammock to hang somewhere for cuddling and sleepy time :) my little guys love their hammock

Thank you so much sunflowerpop that is super helpful. I definitely plan on including a few different hammocks towards the top as I've read they like to sleep high up n the cage. I plan on sewing my own hammocks, I have a sewing machine I just bought and have been dying to use. Would you happen to have any tips on keeping the ratties cool on hot summer days? I live in LA where 90% of the year it's hot. I imagine fleece hammocks wouldnt be too favored during the peak of the hot season

You will need to cover the bottom grid and the small levels so that they are solid floors.
I have no experience with that cage, but with that narrow door, it looks like it will be difficult to clean etc.

If you have a look at the thread "Fixed up rabbit cages" in the Reference Thread, it may give you some ideas https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Here is a cage I divided in half for a rescued mama rat and her very young babies ...... I use large, very strong baking cooling racks as the floor, covered with coroplast (in this case
- usually I use thick pieces of linoleum cut to fit
and dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit on small levels) - attached to the cage with zipties.

January 05 2019 the young mama and her 11 babies are in the bottom half of the cage.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much sunflowerpop that is super helpful. I definitely plan on including a few different hammocks towards the top as I've read they like to sleep high up n the cage. I plan on sewing my own hammocks, I have a sewing machine I just bought and have been dying to use. Would you happen to have any tips on keeping the ratties cool on hot summer days? I live in LA where 90% of the year it's hot. I imagine fleece hammocks wouldnt be too favored during the peak of the hot season
Here's a good post that SQ made earlier last year with a lot of excellent tips on how to keep your rats cool: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/ideas-for-how-to-help-your-ratties-deal-with-the-heat.35548/

Wow nice cage, just make sure you cover the barres and or mesh floors ;) for diy levels I just buy tons of bins from the dollar store and use zip ties and those baby ring things that are plastic and hook together all from the dollar store. You can put fleece scraps, newspaper or toilet paper in them and replace them when they get dirty them wipe them down with water or safe baby wipes to clean hope this helps! My ratthews love them

Attachments

• 77A2FAFC-A593-462A-AB70-2E737A92A029.jpeg
    77A2FAFC-A593-462A-AB70-2E737A92A029.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 207
  • D8CCC7FA-4276-4DA5-ACB9-4B482B08CFE7.jpeg
    D8CCC7FA-4276-4DA5-ACB9-4B482B08CFE7.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 2D60B185-25FE-44D4-B69C-F88D7DB87E83.jpeg
    2D60B185-25FE-44D4-B69C-F88D7DB87E83.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 211
  • EB22D706-C117-497C-B77A-88CFA1B37CF6.jpeg
    EB22D706-C117-497C-B77A-88CFA1B37CF6.jpeg