Best Bedding for Hairless

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always try fleece, but I just started using it and my hairless boys loved it
I have read about fleece, but honestly I hardly ever do laundry for my family. I usually do it when the pile is so large that I can't wear anything cause everything is dirty. don't get me wrong, My house is usually tidy, I'm not a messy person, I just hate doing laundry, and I do it like twice a month... the idea of doing laundry 2x a week just for the ratties is not something very appealing. :confused:

Yesterday's News is paper bedding. Paper bedding brands are Kaytee, Carefresh, etc. But I found them to be dusty. Yesterday's News is newspaper pellets. It's definitely not soft, but it seems to do okay at odor control and absorption.
Fleece is just a pain because it needs to be washed so often, but it's good too.

I have never seen Yesterday's news in person. I didn't know it was pellets. That won't be cozy for my girls, that's a bummer, I wanted something soft and cozy. This is getting trickier than I expected.

I have never seen Yesterday's news in person. I didn't know it was pellets. That won't be cozy for my girls, that's a bummer, I wanted something soft and cozy. This is getting trickier than I expected.
Yeah :( it's always super tricky findings decent bedding... I supplement with a lot of fleece scraps and paper towels/toilet paper.
I know I have heard of some people using Eco Bedding, but I'm pretty sure it's just shreds of paper.
I hope you're able to find something you and your girls like!

Use the same type of bedding as used for either rats …. make sure there are no sharp edges as they do not have hair to protect them.
Make sure the bedding is not dusty (can cause breathing issues) and does not have tiny pieces as debris can get into their eyes (hairless rats are prone to having eye problems)
You will need to try various types of bedding and find what works for you

Unscented yesterdays news and other pelleted paper products are good to use in litter boxes
Make sure newspaper is using vegetable dye ink, not inks that may be toxic because the ink will get on them and they will groom themselves

For nakies, I suggest fleece or a soft paper bedding. BUT always keep an eye on their eyes. As soon as they start squinting or porprhyrin shows up, or their eyelids look "full" you may have a nakie who has defective eyes (a LOT of them do, and since they have no protection for their eyes, debris like paper bedding, even other rat's shed hair can get stuck under their eyelids, abrade them painfully, cause infections and worse case of all, rub the eye so much that it bursts the eyeball and then you have real issues. I can post pics of "full" eyelids if you need to see what I mean.

Back