Believe I have a pregnant rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabz

IMG_20191204_214011.jpg
IMG_20191129_014138.jpg
OK I adopted this rat she's about 4 months but was still cages with two boys... I am looking at her belly and it seems large. I have DDCN joined for my girls, a single critter nation for two males I adopted. I also have another critter nation for my "mean girls" which were badly socialized and I thought I could help them but I still need to use gloves so I don't get bitten by them.... Now I am not sure if I get another smaller cage for the pregnant mama. I have never had babies before but since I have sooo many cages at the moment I am not sure what I should do exactly, plus those mean girls they destroy everything plastic pans, fleece etc... Maybe it's time to put them in my DDCN and put the mama into a cage of her own.
If there's an inexpensive cage for pregnant females please also suggest
Thank you for your time
I also attached a picture of my rat room also I took a picture of the rats belly

Omg... She gave birth last night totally was not prepared... I adopted her last week. I let her out of the cage cause I noticed she was defensive with the other rats so let her in the rat play room. She gave birth inside the rat laundry bag... I see little pinkies I slightly moved her. Not sure how many there are... I know I can't move her now. I think I can stay holding the kitten in day oh boy

Oh my- if she's with other rats you may not have a choice but to move her... As for the babies congrats.! Make sure you check them for milk bands so you know momas feeding them and feed mama things like scrambled eggs to help milk production.!

actually I took her out of the cage last night and let her roam the rat room, it's rat proof with water and food . She made a nest in the laundry bag....
I found a video seems legit...

I will keep you guys posted , I have had a lot of rats... never been a grandma before.

ok so I moved her into a big cardboard box, she had 10 babies. One which wasn't alive when I found it. All seem to have milk bands except for one. I hope she will be a good mother because she seems to want to escape .... I am not sure. I am scared I don't want to lose anymore...

She should have outside time. First time mothers often get stressed out. Let her out for about 30 minutes at a time and have her able to get back to them if she wishes.! Often times they just want some them time. You can let her out with her cagemates so she still has that bond and feels happy and content.!

Awh I don't think she will. She's probably just anxious.! A little free time should help out with that and she very well might go back to her babies willingly.!

Well- the one who passed may not have been strong enough to latch on so it couldn't feed. In that case you couldn't have done too much if it was weak.! Don't beat yourself up if she looses a few more. 10 babies is a lot for a first time mom.!

since I move the nest... I think she was freaked out because I now put her back into the box with babies and she seems to be remaking the nest. (Hopefully) I had no choice since the old nest was made inside a laundry bag... I totally was not expecting babies in less than 24 hours. I adopted her a week ago today...

since I move the nest... I think she was freaked out because I now put her back into the box with babies and she seems to be remaking the nest. (Hopefully) I had no choice since the old nest was made inside a laundry bag... I totally was not expecting babies in less than 24 hours. I adopted her a week ago today...
Hehe.. She may be freaked out.! I'm glad she feels comfortable enough to have had them instead of reabsorbing them-

received_484198755787227.jpeg
I put them in the box and she moved them (I guess she doesn't trust me) ... I will let her do her thing and check back tomorrow, I don't want to upset her. or check on them when she gets out of the box again

IMG_20191205_212607.jpg
HMMM I am only counting 8 now but I see all the milk bellies

Nevermind I found one baby on the other side of the box even with Milk band sooooo weird

I'm glad mama's taking care of them.! I'm hoping the outside time will help her keep at it.! (if you upload the video to YouTube you can send the link here < 3)

Awhh~ How precious.! It looks like mama's content with that snack too.!

Back