being present when your pet is put to sleep

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by SQ, Nov 26, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 26, 2018 #1

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Edit: Basically the vet says that it is extremely important that you are present for the sake of your pet when they are put to sleep so that they will less afraid and comforted by your presence

...…. But because rats need to be given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery,
    some vets will not allow pet owners to be present

I am vet fortunate because my vet allows me to be present and to hold my rattie during the procedure. I hold and cuddle my rattie in my arms and hold the tube with the gas/oxygen mix near their face. They hate the smell but a few breaths and they start to get sleepy. I am able to hold my unconscious rattie being administer=d the gas/oxygen mix, while they become unconscious to at least a surgical level, while they are injected, and while they remain unconscious until they have passed away.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. Nov 27, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

My vet won't allow me to be present when she administers the gas, something about legal issues. But when I bring my rats in, the staff at my clinic are so awesome, they treat each one of my babies like their own and I'm not worried about them doing it right. I leave knowing my babies were loved and well taken care right to the end.

SQ likes this.
  3. Nov 27, 2018 #3

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Same with my vet. The vet above is talking about dogs and cats in the message above. Small pocket pets cannot get injections only and usually need anesthetic gas first hence the legal issues.

SQ likes this.
  4. Nov 27, 2018 #4

Emmabeeee1996

Emmabeeee1996

Emmabeeee1996

I was allowed to go in and I’m so glad I could be there for my rats, it’s really a peaceful way to go and so quick especially because they had been suffering and nothing could be done, it was just their time and I’m so thankful it’s an option.

SQ likes this.