Behavioral changes in my young rat: Sick or not?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vikaniss

Heyo,
I've had my two young rats (very roughly 5-7 months old?) for two weeks. One of my girls, Twitch, is on day 3 of acting a little off and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on the situation.

She used to be wild energy, loved exploring and snuggles, she would always boggle whenever we petted her and often fell asleep on my hand when I left it in the cage. However, she's on day 3 of not wanting to come out of the cage, sleeping a lot and her energy level has slowed down big time. She doesn't act the same when we pet her, she won't boggle and will sometimes leave the bed to avoid being touched. She's not aggressive and doesn't squeak like we're hurting her, she'll just avoid us trying to pick her up or take her out of the cage.

These are not my first rats so I know what a sick rat looks like, but her eyes are bright, coat is soft with no signs of hair loss and there's no mucus around her eyes or nose. She seems to have no trouble breathing, not off balance when she's moving around the cage and doesn't act like anything's sore or hurts. She also has a good appetite and is 20 grams heavier than her sister (Mochi is 130 and Twitch is 150. I'm glad to see them filling out a bit because they were pretty scrawny when we got them and they're still growing).

A part of me thinks they are just warming up to their home still. Mochi used to be terrified and always stayed in the cage while Twitch would be manic and running around, but now Mochi is the one wanting to explore and be crazy and Twitch wants to stay in. I just wish she would be as receptive to us as she had been when we got her. Has anyone had a similar situation? I don't think a vet trip is in order yet but I will continue to weigh her and watch for signs of illness.

Being experienced I expect you've held your ear to both sides of her chest and felt her all over to see if she has a pain reaction anywhere. But you also know they hide illness and anything could be happening inside them that we can't see or hear..
So I don't know what to suggest, just didn't want to leave you feeling un-answered... I think I'd do as you're doing and just keep an eye on her to see if she perks up or seems worse. I hope everything is ok..

How long have you had her? Maybe try giving her something super yummy each time, to see if that entices a mood change?

Back