Behavior (personality?) change....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jes

I've got two girls, sisters, just over a year old. As young rats, and until recently, Ruby was the dominant, much more outgoing, and just overall more everything. Opal was the submissive (had to feed her treats and watch because Ruby would just take them out of her mouth) but never any fighting (aside from what I was assured was young rat sibling play fighting). But like I said, Ruby was the leader, more curious, the first to wander off, and would push opal out of the way for everything.

Over the past few weeks I've noticed that Ruby isn't as active during the day. she's staying in her favorite hammock all day, usually she would be out a few times in between naps. Opal has become the dominate, pushing Ruby out of the way and taking food from Ruby's hands, (but not her mouth lol, Opal's got boundaries). Opal is still out a few times a day between naps. When they're out to play Ruby just hangs out by me rather than continually trying to wander off. Not going to lie, I kind of like this better than chasing her around. She likes cuddles and being pet, which is new. Opal is still her usual self, exploring but also chilling.

Nothing else seems to be wrong. She's just as excited for food/treats, is eating fine, doesn't have any sick symptoms, is grooming herself, and still roams around their (double critter nation for 2 rats) and plays in the evenings, etc. No environmental changes (aside from rearranging toys etc that I've done since I got them), room temp is the same (though it is hotter outside).

They are my first rats. So is this called 'getting older'? Is a change in the dominant one typical, that's what I'm most concerned/surprised about.

Bonus points question- Opal has stopped sleeping in a hammock (there are three) and is sleeping out on a shelf on their fleece lining.

I really appreciate feedback. Hope everyone is healthy and managing during this crazy time.

I've seen this with my two sisters. They will take turns doing what we view as dominant and submissive. My girls slept together in their young days but when they got older and got their free roam 24/7 they slept apart and had their own sleep schedules, just like each human has their sleep schedules etc. When my girl turned a year old she slowed down a bit and I can see she put on a little weight. I'm not concerned because she's eating, playing with her 2 mates and her poops are perfect and she got a clean bill of health a month ago at the vet. She is just getting older. Getting two baby rats for her has helped her immensely since she lost her sister suddenly. The young'uns keep her on her toes and I think she will stay more fit. I wish everyone allowed their rats free roam 24/7 because I think there's a big change behaviourally in them when they're allowed to map a large territory and choose where to be in it.

I can't figure out who is the dominant and submissive rat if my life depended on it. I've heard that the dominant rat can be the rat that rolls over when another attacks it. To us it looks like submissive behaviour but it's actually dominant behaviour since the rolling rat is more skilled and is simply preventing a bite to the butt while the one on top is actually the submissive rat. Who knows eh?

Back