Baytril

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Dena, Aug 14, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Aug 14, 2019 #1

Dena

Dena

Dena

I was prescribed baytril for my bunny. The vet never told me to refrigerate it. The other day I noticed it had exploded everywhere, and smelled like fermented fruit. Is this normal? Are you supposed to refrigerate it? Thanks!

2. Aug 14, 2019 #2

Rocket99

Rocket99

Rocket99

Yes, once it has been mixed with a flavorant as a reduction. The Baytril itsself doesnt need refrigeration, but the flavorant does, it contains sweetener, which, as you found out, ferments quickly if not refrigerated. Throw it away and get more. Asap so you dont interupt the treatment

Dena likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2019 #3

Dena

Dena

Dena

I called the vet to let them know, and they said theirs isn't refrigerated, and I told them if they are in pill form before, of course they aren't kept in the fridge. But once reconstituted, they usually need to be kept in the fridge. I just didn't think about it because I figured since they didn't tell me, and it didn't say on the bottle, I didn't need too. Silly me. :confused:

4. Aug 15, 2019 #4

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

So your Baytril is flavored? I just got some for my ratties and it’s a clear liquid that’s terribly bitter! I hope I’m not supposed to keep mine refrigerated.

Dena likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2019 #5

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

lilspaz68

Administrator Staff Member Admin

Baytril solution can be created from crushed pills or it can be made of injectable baytril which is usually a very clear thin liquid. Its horrible tasting so its best to add a strong sweet flavour. If its injectable without flavouring you don't want to refrigerate it but definitely toss it if you see particulate inside the bottle. The baytril solution from pills should be refrigerated.

Dena likes this.
  6. Aug 15, 2019 #6

Dena

Dena

Dena

It's most definitely fermented! I don't know what they used to mix it, but you open the lid on the bottle, and it just about knocks your socks off! On the bottle it says from tablet, so I'm sure I should have refrigerated it. It smells like hooch. I was getting my poor rabbit drunk!

Next question. They also mixed gabapentin for her. I know they used the capsule form, and reformulated it. Should that also be refrigerated?

Attached Files:

7. Aug 15, 2019 #7

Dena

Dena

Dena

I think because I had to give it to my rabbit, the vet may have added flavoring to it.

8. Aug 15, 2019 #8

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Megan Fleischman

Oh good! I’m sure I have the injectable variety. I will have to pick up some fruit yogurt to mix, my ratties can’t resist that

Dena likes this.