Baytril in the USA~~Questions Help fast please!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly

I think we may have a respitory issue starting with 2 of our boys, and am taking them into the vet today. I have some questions in regards to Baytril. I havent ever had to give a rattie medicine so this is new to me.

Is Baytril the best if its a respitory infection?
What is the proper dose?
What is a normal cost of Baytril and would it be cheaper to have a prescription and have it filled at a regular pharmacy over getting it through our vet??
How long do they stay on meds?

Thanks for any help in these questions!!

Edited to ask one more question...

Is an upper respitory infection in rats Myco?? Or are these two different things??

The two new blue boys are sneezing alot and had a bought of porphyrin for a day and then it stopped. You can tell they sound congested in their noses when they sneeze. This has just started since Saturday and I phoned our vet, Unfortunetly our normal vet wasnt on call and I got some jerk who refused to come to the office to see them :evil: And said I could wait til Monday. Let me tell you I wasnt happy.

Eli and Boots are eating very well and drinking well and still extremely active. They havent had any more porphyrin staining, no loose stools, just alot of funny sounding sneezing.

Should all 5 of my boys be treated even though only 2 are showing signs?? I want to do everything the proper way for treatment!!! And dont want anyone sick who isnt sick or to get worse!!

Thanks

Baytril is your best bet. I would treat only the two that are sounding congested.
Baytril should be prescribed for at least 3 to 4 weeks.

Congestions, respiratory issues upper or lower can all be considered a myco flare up or a secondary infection due to myco.

As for the dosing here's what they say on the Rat Guide, you could print it out and bring it in to your vet.

http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... aytril.php

Thank you so much Jo!!! Your answers are a huge help, Ill post an update after the vet today, I take them in around 8 am and hoping for good news!! This is really scary cause I havent ever had a sick rattie and I know how fast things can progress with them. Our family would be heartbroken if anything happens to them :(

Your vet may want to try just Doxy. Your boys are quite young still so you could try that first and if it doesn't help within a week, then ask to add the Baytril.
I've also had great success with Zithromax with very young rats.
I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Back