Baytril & Doxy Dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey!

So Toby has been off Baytril & Doxy for just over 2 weeks (he was on them for about 75 days, due to sneezing & porph. Today he started sneezing with Porph again. I want to nip this in the butt, so I have some doxy & baytril still. What I am wondering is, he was on baytril once a day + doxy twice daily. But from what I read baytril should be given twice daily unless it's being given long term. We have not tried baytril twice daily yet with the doxy twice daily, so I was thinking about giving it a go but I'm not sure on the dosages where I was only given a dose for once a day. So here's the information:

Toby's weight: 560 grams.

Doxy: Doxycycline 10mg/ml suspension (Tropical Punch) - Give 0.28 mls every 12 hours. (I am assuming I would keep this the same)

Baytril: Baytril 50mg/ml inj. Give 0.08 ml orally every 24 hours. (this is the one that needs to be changed to twice a day, but I am uncertain of the dosage to give, would it be 0.08 twice a day or ?

Thanks for the help!

Well, last time it started with sneezing and porph and then turned into a respiratory infection, very quickly. So I want to catch it quickly, esspicially where he was on meds for so long just two weeks ago.

Ratty Momma said:
Baytril: Baytril 50mg/ml inj. Give 0.08 ml orally every 12 hours. (this is the one that needs to be changed to twice a day, but I am uncertain of the dosage to give, would it be 0.08 twice a day or ?

I think you answered your own question there, unless I'm misreading! Haha. You said it says to give 0.08 ml orally every 12 hours. Which would be 0.08 ml twice a day.

xxchelle said:
Ratty Momma said:
Baytril: Baytril 50mg/ml inj. Give 0.08 ml orally every 12 hours. (this is the one that needs to be changed to twice a day, but I am uncertain of the dosage to give, would it be 0.08 twice a day or ?

I think you answered your own question there, unless I'm misreading! Haha. You said it says to give 0.08 ml orally every 12 hours. Which would be 0.08 ml twice a day.

Sorry, I was supposed to write every 24 hours, my bad. So would 0.08 ml twice a day be right?

Also Mamarat, I have lived in the same house since I was born, haha.

Racheal, when it comes to my babies, I don't take chances and assume things, I always try med's first.

I have never tried baytril twice a day along with the doxy twice a day, so I would like to give it a try.

Sorry Ratty Momma. I remember Toby now (so gorgeous) I would start him on meds too. He might be one who will need meds all his life. I have a few like that.

mamarat said:
Sorry Ratty Momma. I remember Toby now (so gorgeous) I would start him on meds too. He might be one who will need meds all his life. I have a few like that.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking. Longterm meds is usally baytril once a day and doxy twice (like I was using), but I have never tried the baytril twice a day with the doxy twice a day ..so im gonna give that a go first to see if it will help ..if not then he will be one baytril once a day, doxy twice ..long term.

So my question being, how much baytril should he get twice a day?

He was getting 0.08 every 24 hours, would it now be 0.08 every 12 hours? ..my main post has his weight and concentration of the meds.
I'm not good at working out dosages.

Thanks xxchelle, I think I will go with the low dose where he only has sneezes and a bit of porph.

I don't mean hang around and assume things, but constant medicine means they could become immune to it and it just won't work for them when they really need it to. If you did just move, I would wait and see if it passes.

Rachael said:
I don't mean hang around and assume things, but constant medicine means they could become immune to it and it just won't work for them when they really need it to. If you did just move, I would wait and see if it passes.

I think I read somewhere that they can't get immune to baytril & as for doxy, if you keep them on it for 2 weeks and off for two weeks (if doing long term).

Also I know these sneezes are not allergy related, not new house esneezes (as I haven't moved) and I have not changed anything in the environment.

And just fyi for the doxy it's 2 weeks on it and then keep the rat off until they go downhill...basically save the doxy for when they really, really need it.

smilez_n_hugs said:
And just fyi for the doxy it's 2 weeks on it and then keep the rat off until they go downhill...basically save the doxy for when they really, really need it.

Thanks !

Back