Baytril dose

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello! I have 5 rats all of them treating for respiratory complications. Im administering baytril and Doxy ONCE a day. The baytril I have is 25 mg/ml.
My vet ( who isn't extremely experienced with rats ) told me to dose ALL my rats 0.4 ml which I thought was super weird cuz my rats weight ranges from 200 to 500 lol.
So please if anyone could help me get the dosages right my rats weight:
216g
416g
445g
456g
And 536g

Please no rat guide cuz I already tried that and math is just too hard for me lol. Thank you so much in advanced.

The hardest part about figuring out doses is the recommended dose. Some are easier than others though.

For eg. Baytril is 10 mg/kg BID (twice a day, so once a day would be 20 mg/kg. I personally use 15 mg/kg but I am basing my dosing off your vets.

So you need 3 things to work out doses.

Weight of rat in kg. For eg. 445 grams is 0.445 kg
Recommended dose - in this case 20 mg/kg for once a day
and concentration of the antibiotic - your baytril is 25 mg/ml

Sooo here's the calculation

0.445 x 20 / 25 = 0.36 (ml)

The hardest part about figuring out doses is the recommended dose. Some are easier than others though.

For eg. Baytril is 10 mg/kg BID (twice a day, so once a day would be 20 mg/kg. I personally use 15 mg/kg but I am basing my dosing off your vets.

So you need 3 things to work out doses.

Weight of rat in kg. For eg. 445 grams is 0.445 kg
Recommended dose - in this case 20 mg/kg for once a day
and concentration of the antibiotic - your baytril is 25 mg/ml

Sooo here's the calculation

0.445 x 20 / 25 = 0.36 (ml)
Thank you so much!

Back