Baytril dosage

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzi13

Hey everyone !

I am seriously questioning the dosage of baytril my vet gave me for one of my rats but before I call to complain I'd like to make sure I'm right.

My rat is really very sick - he has been peeing blood for over 2 weeks and has no energy. He was on Bactrim for 5 days just to try and it didn't do nothing, neither did Metacam. X-ray and scan came back normal. The urine sample they took came back positive for bacterias (they don't know which kind), so they are putting him on Baytril 25 mg/mL, 0.14 mL once a day for 7 days. My rat weights 670g.

But one of my other rats had also gotten Baytril as he was sneezing and making noise when breathing. Other than that he was feeling great, and he had been that way for months before the vet agreed to just try Baytril. So by all means he really wasn't very sick at all. He is also much lighter than my other rat, and he had gotten Baytril 25mg/mL, 0.2 mL twice a day for 10 days :/

It just doesn't seem right to me that my heavyweight, very sick rat is getting less meds, less often and for less long...

Hey everyone !

I am seriously questioning the dosage of baytril my vet gave me for one of my rats but before I call to complain I'd like to make sure I'm right.

My rat is really very sick - he has been peeing blood for over 2 weeks and has no energy. He was on Bactrim for 5 days just to try and it didn't do nothing, neither did Metacam. X-ray and scan came back normal. The urine sample they took came back positive for bacterias (they don't know which kind), so they are putting him on Baytril 25 mg/mL, 0.14 mL once a day for 7 days. My rat weights 670g.

But one of my other rats had also gotten Baytril as he was sneezing and making noise when breathing. Other than that he was feeling great, and he had been that way for months before the vet agreed to just try Baytril. So by all means he really wasn't very sick at all. He is also much lighter than my other rat, and he had gotten Baytril 25mg/mL, 0.2 mL twice a day for 10 days :/

It just doesn't seem right to me that my heavyweight, very sick rat is getting less meds, less often and for less long...

Eeeeeek!!!

WAAAY underdosed.

Using the standard 10 mg/kg his dose should be 0.27 ml TWICE a day.

Using the much more effective 15 mg/kg his dose would be .0.4 ml twice a day.

Your vet is dosing at 2.5 mg/kg, plus a minimum treatment for any active infection should be 2 weeks not 7 or 10 days.

No wonder he didn't improve!!

Eeeeeek!!!

WAAAY underdosed.

Using the standard 10 mg/kg his dose should be 0.27 ml TWICE a day.

Using the much more effective 15 mg/kg his dose would be .0.4 ml twice a day.

Your vet is dosing at 2.5 mg/kg, plus a minimum treatment for any active infection should be 2 weeks not 7 or 10 days.

No wonder he didn't improve!!

Hmm that's what I thought... I called them and explained very logically that it just MUST be wrong, and she agreed the dosage sounded strange given the one my other rat had gotten but that oh well, the vet must have known what he was doing... Basically they are refusing to change his dosage or give me more meds.

My plan is now to give him a "normal dosage" this weekend and since I'll probably be out of meds by Monday at that rate, I'll just go there and say I spilled it by mistake to get more. And while I'm there I'll demand an explanation on the dosage. I'm furious that after paying 300 something bucks to them to fix my poor rat they'd **** up that bad and not even admit to it when being proven wrong.

Back