Baytril - all or nothing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielZielwolf

I have to dose my rat .25ml of Baytril twice a day for 3 weeks (in comb. with Vibravet). He's got a very bad case of mycoplasmosis. Problem is of course getting it into him. I'm hiding it in molten gourmet ice cream but as soon as he gets a hint of the stuff he won't touch anymore. You need quite a bit of ice cream too to hide .25ml. So far the most I reckon he's taken in a single dose is 0.18ml or so. Question: should I keep going or just give up? Ie is getting a part dose still doing some good or will it just end up doing more harm in the end? Can I split the dose up? Like 0.125ml every 6 hrs instead of 0.25 every 12? I'd ask my vet this but they're closed for 18 hours. Thanks in advance.

Can you try to just insert it in his lip? That's what I did for my stubborn rats. But, if you want to try every 6 hours, it's worth a shot. He really needs the full dose. Half the dose can make him worse.

With stubborn rats, I either just syringe it in their mouths or mix it with something very strong tasting like a syrup. A little goes a long way so you don’t have to add too much to make it tasty. I also thicken it with baby cereal to make it easier to syringe and not accidentally push in too much liquid.

Have you tried mixing it with some kind of syrup? I mix my baytril will strawberry nesquik and the rats love it. I have two boys who refused to take their metacam and antibiotics after their neuter.. I mixed it in eggs, ice cream, syrup, crushed Cheerios, everything I could think of. The only thing that worked was my morning breakfast- rolled oats microwaved with a little water and frozen blueberries, they ate everything.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the ice-cream was just too calorie dense. I've switched to vanilla flavoured milk instead and that goes down more easily.

In cae you are still looking for ideas, I measure out the meds into a small dish, add a couple of drops of real (organic) maple syrup, add a couple of drops of water. mix, and thicken with a tiny amount of baby cereal. My rat will gobble it up thinking it is a treat

Back