Baytril - all or nothing?

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by DanielZielwolf, Oct 18, 2018.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Oct 18, 2018 #1

DanielZielwolf

DanielZielwolf

DanielZielwolf

I have to dose my rat .25ml of Baytril twice a day for 3 weeks (in comb. with Vibravet). He's got a very bad case of mycoplasmosis. Problem is of course getting it into him. I'm hiding it in molten gourmet ice cream but as soon as he gets a hint of the stuff he won't touch anymore. You need quite a bit of ice cream too to hide .25ml. So far the most I reckon he's taken in a single dose is 0.18ml or so. Question: should I keep going or just give up? Ie is getting a part dose still doing some good or will it just end up doing more harm in the end? Can I split the dose up? Like 0.125ml every 6 hrs instead of 0.25 every 12? I'd ask my vet this but they're closed for 18 hours. Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 18, 2018 #2

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Can you try to just insert it in his lip? That's what I did for my stubborn rats. But, if you want to try every 6 hours, it's worth a shot. He really needs the full dose. Half the dose can make him worse.

DanielZielwolf likes this.
  3. Oct 18, 2018 #3

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

Luna&Ralph

With stubborn rats, I either just syringe it in their mouths or mix it with something very strong tasting like a syrup. A little goes a long way so you don’t have to add too much to make it tasty. I also thicken it with baby cereal to make it easier to syringe and not accidentally push in too much liquid.

4. Oct 18, 2018 #4

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Have you tried mixing with something with a strong smell? Such as tuna which always worked for me even with the most stubborn rats.

5. Oct 19, 2018 #5

mvZD

mvZD

mvZD

Have you tried mixing it with some kind of syrup? I mix my baytril will strawberry nesquik and the rats love it. I have two boys who refused to take their metacam and antibiotics after their neuter.. I mixed it in eggs, ice cream, syrup, crushed Cheerios, everything I could think of. The only thing that worked was my morning breakfast- rolled oats microwaved with a little water and frozen blueberries, they ate everything.

6. Oct 19, 2018 #6

DanielZielwolf

DanielZielwolf

DanielZielwolf

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the ice-cream was just too calorie dense. I've switched to vanilla flavoured milk instead and that goes down more easily.

7. Oct 19, 2018 #7

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

In cae you are still looking for ideas, I measure out the meds into a small dish, add a couple of drops of real (organic) maple syrup, add a couple of drops of water. mix, and thicken with a tiny amount of baby cereal. My rat will gobble it up thinking it is a treat