The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathrynwithak7

Hey guys,

My rats, Winston and Teddy, are taking their medicine and recovering from URIs. They're running around and getting into trouble and watching them is such a relief.

HOWEVER, boys will be boys and they both need a bath. I've given them brief baths before, but I'm concerned they didn't help with their health issues.

I just need advice on how to give rats a nice, warm, relaxing bath without making their infections worse.

Thanks!

I would suggest that if necessary you wipe them with an unscented baby wipe. People with rats that are unable to groom themselves properly because of age or illness often do this.
Rats groom themselves like cats and it is not usual for them to have a bath, as it disrupts the oil balance in their hair and is stressful. Some people do bath their rats once every one or two months if their boys have a lot of buck grease.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Normally, rats are terrific groomers and don't need baths but occasionally, they can get dirty. I've used a wet rag and washed them down, kind of like wet wipes. Soak the rag, wring and wipe the rat kind of thing.

Back